Powder

Little  paw prints
left a path where
here led to there,
down sprang to up,
and what’s gold
was certain 
to disappear.

A kitten arrived
unsuitably named Milk,
quickly taught us
her name should
be Powder.

©Susie Clevenger 2019

Powder was such a precious cat. She moved from Oklahoma to Texas with us in 2003 and even evacuated Hurricane Rita with us in 2005 on an eight hour journey (normally a three hour trip) from Houston to San Antonio. She was fifteen years old when she left us. Oh I miss her.

Comments

said…
I adore this. So totally adorable.
brudberg said…
I love how she claimed her own name... I read this thinking of T.S. Eliot and the naming of cats.
Sanaa Rizvi said…
Oh I love this!❤️
tonispencer said…
What a sweet poem and picture. I am sure you do miss her as I miss my cat. They never leave you, do they?
Margaret said…
powder keg? She was beautiful... my heart cat was Casper - my confidant and best friend while growing up...
Kim M. Russell said…
Your poem also made me think of TS Eliot and the naming of cats. Powder was a gorgeous cat – and she reminds me of one of those old-fashioned powder puffs. It looks like she left her little paw prints all over your heart, Susie!
Kerry O'Connor said…
Powder is the perfect name for her! You are so lucky to have had her for so many years, keeping her safe through many disasters.
She's very beautiful. Of course you miss her!
Jim said…
She was a sweet cat, probably getting a sweeter reputation as time goes by. I also have the Eliot book, "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats" (the musical, "Cats", was written using the cats in this book).
..
grapeling said…
what a sweet face !
What a sweet face. I miss so many of them, but they all brought great joy.