The Ink in the Well


Within me there is a well both empty and overflowing.
There is dust, summer rain, the sound of my voice,
and the echo of others. 

I often fear it isn’t poetry, only words held until
I choose to dip my pen into troubled water. 

There is no way to escape breath if I choose to live.
Every poem I write resuscitates hope the journal in me
will find the soul who needs the breadcrumbs I leave for them.

Rarely can I write in rhyme because I have no talent 
to not make it sound pitiful or childish.
For me it is torture, a duty I’m not qualified to perform.

Poetry is my therapy, impertinence, anger, joy.
It usually has no form, no blueprint, just ink
pulling what I see, hear, and feel to the surface.

Inspiration is as close as the cat sitting at my feet
to as far as the moon is from my window. 
When I am stuck, it is because I overthink,
tie myself in a knot trying to force what should flow.

Poetry, you are life, death, the amazing space in between.
When I am lost you bring me home, comfort me, 
chastise me, teach me to not just look but see,
not just hear but listen, not just hurt but heal.

©Susie Clevenger 2024





 

Comments

Susan said…
"Poetry is my therapy, impertinence, anger, joy."
Wow, Susie! We have the same foibles and doubts, emptiness and fullness, and yet when we write with honesty, with the heart, and with that other unexplainable drive--we are poets! I adore this poem.
Sherry Blue Sky said…
Susie, what a wonderful description of poetry! It is all of these things......it is also a journey, and I love your description of the crumbs you leave for fellow travellers to discover...........what wonderful morsels they are!
Truedessa said…
"Every poem I write resuscitates hope" If a poet can give someone hope then the writing of poems is worth every bit of energy. No need to rhyme just write from the heart in free form. "Poetry is my therapy" - I agree it has helped me through the years. Thank you for sharing
Mary said…
Hi Susie, I am not one who rhymes often either. I liked your entire poem. But my favorite lines were:

"Poetry is my therapy, impertinence, anger, joy.
It usually has no form, no blueprint, just ink
pulling what I see, hear, and feel to the surface." Poetry is often my therapy too, especially the poems I write only for myself, where I am MORE uninhibited. I like the idea of poetry pulling things to the surface. I feel the same. Sometimes when I begin writing, I have no idea the direction the poem will go.
Fireblossom said…
You have said it marvelously here, Susie, and to heck with using any other voice but your very own remarkable one.
Rajani said…
Poetry is my therapy, impertinence, anger, joy. - so totally resonates... we have to dip our pens into troubled waters..that's where the best of poetry comes from!
Sumana Roy said…
"Poetry, you are life, death, the amazing space in between." The exact space where I am now. You've said it with heart, Susie.
Brother Ollie said…
poetry is my therapy as well - I gotta keep at it!

Thanks for your resent visits
alan1704 said…
Yes i agree there is something healing in poetry, - it does work in all the madness of life. This is a great poem.
Jennifer Wagner said…
Wonderful, you've said it superbly. I'm glad you don't torture yourself to rhyme. Where's the fun in that? I love your powerful voice.
Dora said…
Profoundly moving, because filled with bare yet eloquent honesty, and the soul's sustenance on poetry. I especially loved, "Inspiration is as close as the cat sitting at my feet to as far as the moon is from my window."