Torn Paper Turning Diamond

 


“As long as you can find yourself, you will
  never starve. – Susan Collins, The Hunger Games

In my torn paper mirror
I can see what was, what is,
and dream what can be.

Trying to see perfect
when a reflection is ragged edges
is like discarding broken pottery
when there is gold in restoration.

I cannot escape the human life
with its stones and grief mixed
with days of joy…But I can imagine
diamonds forming from the tears
where I break. 

Susie Clevenger 2023


Comments

Helen said…
I knew you would choose this image, Susie. And I also knew your poem would most likely leave me with a lump in my throat and a tear on my cheek. Well done!!!!!
Ellecee said…
This is truly beautiful.,,,I felt it in my bones����
qbit said…
" I can imagine / diamonds forming from the tears / where I break." Wow. Powerful.
Gillena Cox said…
This is so poignant Susie. In our brokeness too if we can face ourselves, then we can mend and heal.

Thanks for dropping by my blog today.

Much💚love
A beautiful poem ending on a positive note.Lovely.
Angela said…
Great poem we can all face ourselves even when broken 💕
Thomas Post said…
The fragileness that we feel against the hardness of life is expressed so elegantly here!