Nights with Longfellow

 


Dressed by a murder of crows

and dark mist of moon I walk

the silver edge of night’s mirror

where Longfellow’s ink still pools

in the fountain of dreams.

 

Free of sunlight’s woe I wrap myself

in his poet’s cloak to hold communion

with words that see hope in star washed shadows.


Aware sleep will soon demand

I seek my pillow I sing one last exclamation,

Night’s peace will carry me across morning’s horizon!


 ©Susie Clevenger 2020


 It was by creating the digital art it took me to Longfellow, a quite unexpected journey. It is a mystical journey we creatives take every time our muse shows up. This year has been difficult, but it is through artistic expression I have been able to cope with it. 


Poets and Storytellers United Writer's Pantry #51


Comments

indybev said…
You, my dear, are exceedingly talented. Blessings on you and yours this holiday season!
Helen said…
Susie, the depth and breadth of your talent never fails to impress. Stay well, carry on! Happy Holidays to you and yours.
Poetry began for me with nights with Longfellow. My Dad used to read my little brother and me nightly episodes of The Song of Hiawatha for bedtime stories – a wonderful serial.
If only we can find stars to wash the shadows, we will be all right. A blessed year's end to you!
Magaly Guerrero said…
I love the poetry and the visual art, they way they feed each other, how they bring to mind other inked wonders... It's a wonderful dance to read. And you are not alone on the breathing through art bit. Without words to play with and vent with and love with, I doubt some of us would've survived 2020. May 2021 bring better things!
Thotpurge said…
where Longfellow’s ink still pools

in the fountain of dreams ... so evocative of a magical world.
dsnake1 said…
It's a beautiful art piece. i can see how it leads to the poem, which i also enjoyed.
sometimes i do that too, do a pencil/color sketch of whatever that suddenly comes to mind, then try to find words to accompany it. sometimes it works, most times it doesn't, but that's part of the creative process. :)

yes, this year has been tough, and most of us pull through by doing things we loved. Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year!
Jenna said…
I really like that artwork!
Yvonne Osborne said…
A murder of crows in Longfellow's ink!
Very good, the words and the artwork.