A Question of Reaping

Morning rises on the tip of a groan.
I free dance my way to the bathroom
on a twisted right hip and curse
the sticky note positive pasted on my mirror.

My mood doesn't want to light a candle
with Buddha or Bible...It wants to pour black coffee
on Tuesday until it sobers up from its happy drunk.

Wow! Take a deep breath...I need to steal some real estate
from my inner witch or I'll become the bitter she's planting.

So, mirror, mirror on the wall, who will talk nice or not at all?

Really? I've boiled all those (push me to be better) notes into this?

Well, for now anyway, I'll lease Glenda, (you know good witch)
a small, rocky plot of thought to see if she can turn thistles into daises.

©Susie Clevenger 2019

#NaPoWriMo2019

I was honored to have this poem win honorable mention at the Lucidity Ozark Poetry Retreat #27, 2019

Comments

said…
I especially like the ending.
Carrie Van Horn said…
"Morning rises on the tip of a groan" what an amazing line and start to this poem. Very deserving of being honored! I love so many lines in this!! The inner conversation is wonderful!!
WildChild47 said…
I can completely understand why you were honoured for the poem - it's is superb! And I love to many of the delicious lines to consider choosing just one! this is so cool;

Love the way you've taken the whole idea "of self-love/healing/positivity in the face of" and added the realistic side to it, but with such great images ... and any time you care to weave the witches into, I'll be waiting with anticipation!

this is such an awesome line: .I need to steal some real estate
from my inner witch or I'll become the bitter she's planting.

I wish I could write one line as good as that!

Brava Susie!