Hallelujah Song of Laundry Day


Laundry breeds another load of clothes.
I’m wearing the end of the closet
feeling pretty got lost in bad choices.

Oh, but the hospital bed is empty.
My child isn’t needle connected
to another day of hell.

Laundry’s spinning wash to dry.
I’m watching birds sky shopping limbs
to see which tree will hold a nest.

Mundane feels like a vacation.
Routine writes the best songs.
Laundry pile is reaching empty.

Oh, the phone call doesn’t bring agony.
My daughter is storytelling about her dog.
I’m just singing about folded laundry.


©Susie Clevenger 2019

Real Toads ~ Avant Gardner

Comments

Sherry Blue Sky said…
Yes, with the hospital bed empty, joy is doing the laundry, for sure. I love the birds sky shopping tree branches. I can feel the joy in this poem, the singing heart.
Isadora Gruye said…
Yassssssss....love title and vibe of this one!
Jim said…
Fun reading, Susie, the unexpected will co.e next. My laundry dry e periences mostly are unmemorable. The one I remember best is riding to Grandma's with Mom and playing there while she washed. One in particular was harrinle, Dad got ferocious with me for telling Grandma something he was keeping secret. I didn't know it was supposed to be a secret.
..
Kim M. Russell said…
This poem is just fabulous, Susie! I especially love the ‘birds sky shopping limbs
to see which tree will hold a nest’ and the final stanza of joy that’s so ordinary it’s extraordinary!
Marian said…
I'm so glad the hospital bed is empty!!
Love this poem too, Susie... routine does write the best poems... laundry inspires. Totally!
Love it.
Mundane feels like a vacation

Yes! I'm happy you are out of your agony
Old Egg said…
I can just see my wife in the laundry looking out the window as the washer rumbles away thinking "Is this what life is?" I think she was quite glad when I helped to hang it out (with minor criticism) and bringing it in later. Excellent poem!
Kerry O'Connor said…
I’m watching birds sky shopping limbs...
What a perfect description.
brudberg said…
The mundane is a bliss ... how great to leave the hospital bed empty.