My Journey of Poems


In this place of ghosts death sings
of freedom and stone place cards
invite my knees to rest on a dandelion carpet.

Listening to the breeze converse with wind chimes
I realize this is the first time I haven’t cried
as I ran my hand across your names chiseled in granite.

The fretting grief of questions no longer plagues.
In my journey of poems I surrendered agony to ink
until sorrow wrote its way to release.

Dear parents, in this field of angels I feel your wings
brush across my heart in breath beats of calm.
I’ve cast my demons from their nest of shadows.

©Susie Clevenger 2018

Real Toads ~ The Places that Heal Us

Comments

Sherry Blue Sky said…
Susie, how moving, your beautiful poem. And how healing, the brush of wings across your heart in "this field of angels". What a beautiful poem, straight from the heart.
Teresa said…
Cemeteries are truly special places. I've loved meeting many of my ancestors at their final resting spots. Of course, I can only imagine the sorry of visiting parents there. Very moving poem.
Jim said…
A nice place to work ones way out of problems. I'd say it was about five years to pretty well get over a divorce. Remarriage helps some, I did that after three.
..
Love the line: I surrendered agony to ink
until sorrow wrote its way to release. I have done that as well.