Damning for Damning

"Picket lines and picket signs
Don't punish me with brutality
C'mon talk to me
So you can see
What's going on
Yeah, what's going on"

What's Goin On ~ Marving Gaye
Songwriters: Alfred W Cleveland / Marvin P Gaye / Renaldo Benson



Break the stones from our tongues.
We sin troll for every prejudice,
ignore the songs of peace,
and cry blood as if wounds
had more power than listening
eye to eye.

Your fault, his fault, her fault
never reaches the conclusion of my fault,
damning for damning leaves us
invisible in our own mirrors.

Feed the dragon…Expect the burn.
The bonfire will turn to cold ash
if we stop feeding it bitter words.

©Susie Clevenger 2017

Real Toads ~ The Tuesday Platform

Comments

tonispencer said…
That last stanza...how well it sums it all up. Yes. If we use love instead of hate, the fire of anger will die.
Sanaa Rizvi said…
'Your fault, his fault, her fault never reaches the conclusion of my fault, damning for damning leaves us invisible in our own mirrors' .. this is so powerful and yes if only we would drop the barriers of ego and just see things through! Beautifully penned.
said…
Wow, this is so powerful (and true):

"Your fault, his fault, her fault
never reaches the conclusion of my fault,"

This is my favorite line: "Feed the dragon…Expect the burn."

"The bonfire will turn to cold ash
if we stop feeding it bitter words." ... Yes, you're right.

I love the title as well.
brudberg said…
Yes damn them... scum that force us to react.
Sherry Blue Sky said…
I love "damning leaves us invisible in our own mirrors." How true. This poem packs power, Susie.
Fireblossom said…
I haven't been able to look away from what's been happening in the news, and I have thought often of this song.
Anonymous said…
I'm with you. It is my fault for "I" will turn fault into the better day. (complaints are gifts)
Margaret said…
Your fault, his fault, her fault
never reaches the conclusion of my fault,

Powerful words!
Kerry O'Connor said…
Feed the dragon…Expect the burn.

Words to live by. This touches all the sore places, Susie.
Magaly Guerrero said…
Can't start a fire and expect soothing flowers to bloom out of the flames...