Blue Sky Without A Credit Card

He seems to be a match,
as close to perfect
as imperfect can get.
I’m leery of the hoodwink.
His wallet brag and brawn view
may broadcast more where there is less.

There can be a whole lot of heart
under a dollar, and stone in a thousand.
If he can handle blue sky without a credit card,
he just might own the truth.

I won’t say I’m cheap,
but romance by coupon
let’s me taste the frosting
before I buy the cake.
I like to test the change
to see if tomorrow
can afford the weight.

©Susie Clevenger 2017

This was inspired by this book title: Dating for Under a Dollar: 301 Ideas, by Blair Tolman

Real Toads ~ Title Tale

Comments

Magaly Guerrero said…
I totally adore the phrase "romance by coupon", and the speaker's explanation of it. Hey, if all fails one doesn't want to be stuck with the bill for the entire ordeal. Not that I'm cheap, or anything. :-D
brudberg said…
Love it... there is a lot of heart for free, and stone is like gold. You used the title to go deeper.
Sherry Blue Sky said…
WOW! I adore "if he can handle blue sky without a credit card, he just might own the truth." This is brilliant and wise, my Friend!
Anonymous said…
There is a hidden message in this poem. (What does the guy have the lady thinking about?)
Frank Hubeny said…
I like the idea of tasting the frosting before one buys the cake. Some of that frosting is way too sweet. Also testing the change to see if one can afford the weight.
Kerry O'Connor said…
I won’t say I’m cheap,
but romance by coupon
let’s me taste the frosting
before I buy the cake.

That is priceless, Susie.
Kim M. Russell said…
I love that phrase 'leery of the hoodwink' and the lines:
'If he can handle blue sky without a credit card,
he just might own the truth.'
Sanaa Rizvi said…
Yowza!!❤️This is absolutely exquisite Susie! I love how you end the poem with "romance by coupon let’s me taste the frosting before I buy the cake. I like to test the change to see if tomorrow can afford the weight." Enjoyed it to the fullest. Beautifully rendered❤️


Lots of love,
Sanaa
Bekkie Sanchez said…
Coupons smopons! Dating is hard no matter what!