Cry Baby 24

Born with my head in the clouds
I took my cry baby entrance
right to the edge of dreamland.

Karma knew my heart would be
too soft for tap shoes so she infused
a bit of my mama’s grit into
that 24th day to keep some glue for broken.

I cut my teeth on idealistic…The sunny side
of trauma was the show tune I hummed
when hell kept tears from delivering a rainbow.

Fingernails ground down to absent
I am a woman of lost hours, too much thought,
and a sharp tongue with an expert aim.

Yes, I slipped past the day of hearts
to land on 24…February birthed me
a five-pound crier nursing on imagination.


©Susie Clevenger 2016

Comments

Kerry O'Connor said…
I am a woman of lost hours, too much thought,
and a sharp tongue with an expert aim...

This I can relate to! You have expressed the entire portrait of one born to the auspicious day so well, Susie.
brudberg said…
Love the personality you express, the glue for broken, what a gift. Yes this is stellar Susie.
Fireblossom said…
This is stunning, Susie! Wow!
Sherry Blue Sky said…
I echo Shay. Wow!!!!!! Razor sharp.
Margaret said…
Quite an examination of self - a piece of the portrait that is you. Loved this.
Rommy said…
I like how you laid out the future woven around the theme of your birthday. Really quite stunning and well done.
Hannah said…
I am a woman of lost hours, too much thought,
and a sharp tongue with an expert aim.


Yes!! We need more women like this...awesome, Susie!
Outlawyer said…
Me too. Too many lost hours. Thank you. K.