Muddy Water Veins

Muddy water runs in my veins
from Arkansas generations who knew
more dirt than gold, a belly full of hunger,
and moonshine bottled in glass.

The dustbowl didn’t bring their
Grapes of Wrath…It was revenuers
with their nostrils to the ground
sniffing out the family business.

With handcuff incentive they piled
possessions and children on trucks
and took a midnight flight to safer ground
across the border into Missouri.

Two families- one flight - kept them
living together in getting by until
circumstances grew a new limb
by joining my parents as husband and wife.

My name sits on a muddy water tree
where death came sooner than later,
poor did what it did to survive, and
moving on never escaped its roots.



©Susie Clevenger 2014

Kay over at Real Toads prompted us to write a ballad. 

Comments

Maude Lynn said…
Oh, I love this! Gorgeous in its details.
Sumana Roy said…
"moving on never escaped its roots."...love the line..and it's important for everyone...
Kay L. Davies said…
"My name sits on a muddy water tree"...
That line is a ballad all by itself, Susie, and the details give it life, and truth.
I love it, my friend.
K
Margaret said…
The last stanza is stellar and could stand on its own - it is that strong and commanding.
Anonymous said…
I'm quite particular of the Joads, and you've done the subject justice. ~
Unknown said…
This is a gritty bit of writing really showed your edge on this one!