NaPoWriMo 2013 (playing catch up) Day 6 ~ Song of the Whippoorwill


It is the whippoorwill
that sings of home
where the night sky
is dancing stars and
wishes whispered
to the moon.

I am miles from the
gravel that dusted my toes
on barefoot summers,
but when I close my eyes
I return to once upon a time.

Blessed bird continue your song
of quieter days and winged dreams.
I want to fly to open fields where concrete
doesn’t scratch against my sleeves.


©Susie Clevenger 2013

At Real Toads Peggy has us Going Outside.





Comments

Anonymous said…
lovely..
I want to fly to open fields where concrete doesn’t scratch against my sleeves.

loved the lines here..
Sreeja
writingonjusttowrite.blogspot.com
Other Mary said…
That's a wonderful memory conjured. I'd like to go back there too. Lovely!
Margaret said…
The whippoorwill singing of home and childhood memories... Very sweet.