Humans Are My Terror

(Via Wiki: Roland H. The endangered West African giraffe)



I wade through tall grass
and dusted earth to eat
acacia leaves glued to heaven.

A spotted wall, I rise above
the savanna and view
my world with sorrow’s eyes.

Centuries have brought its
enemies of nature and beast,
but humans are my terror.

They shred my home with
their steely jaws of progress
devouring hope I can survive.

I dream in yesterdays when
freedom blossomed and fear
didn’t consume life’s hours.

Oh savanna, I pray these aren’t
your last days and my offspring will
one day walk this hallowed ground of my Eden.

  
©Susie Clevenger 2013

At Real Toads Transforming Fridays Hannah has us creating a voice for plant or animal from the savanna. I chose the giraffe. They are such fascinating creatures.





Comments

Anunoy Samanta said…
Beautiful... Never heard giraffe speaking before... so, loved it :)
Cheers....
Kerry O'Connor said…
That first stanza really evokes the sights of the savanna and I love the idea of the giraffe being compared to a spotted wall.
Grace said…
A lovely prayer Susie ~ Its sad that we have become a terror, an enemy in the eyes of these creatures ~

Happy Easter ~
Fireblossom said…
It breaks my heart that humans seem to feel entitled to every square inch of everything. I worry for the animals and birds, I really do.

Giraffes are really cool creatures, and I love the way you have told this from their perspective, Susie.

And, THANKS for buying our book!!
Ellecee said…
I love this voice you have given the giraffe, it is bereft thinking of an unknown future , beautifully said.
Ella said…
I too love your voice in this poem!
I love these lines:
" I dream in yesterdays when
freedom blossomed and fear
didn’t consume life’s hours."

I wish I could go back to that dream :D
Hannah said…
"steely jaws" "freedom blossomed" and "hallowed ground,"

Love these and more, Susie.

You capture so well the voice of this amazing creature!!

Thank yoiu so much for writing TF!! :)