Frogs of Spring


Spring comes in the croaking of frogs.
Their song of courtship fills the night
chasing away the silence of winter.

Within the throaty call I hear
my childhood along a muddy creek bank
chasing daydreams through newborn grass.

It is odd what stirs the heart to return
to a time when there was as much pain as joy.
Perhaps I needed to be shown I no longer fear the shadows.

Sitting in the rewind I am lost in a time of dreaming,
believing every secret remained untold,
and  when life was brand new with no scuff marks of disappointment.

Sing each prince in puddle and pond your courtship song,
I wish you well in your ballroom decorated with spring.
Thank you for mixing my yesterdays with the joy of renewal.



©Susie Clevenger 2013



Comments

Kay L. Davies said…
I love this, especially the part about your childhood in newborn grass.
K
Sherry Blue Sky said…
I absolutely adore this wonderful poem. I, too, love the singoing of the frogs - ours havent started yet. But especially like the going back in memory, but mixing joy in along with the pain of those times. Me, too. Beautiful, Susie.
rashmenon said…
love the title and love the large-heartedness in that last line.
Laurie Kolp said…
Ah, you do not ever disappoint, Susie (especially since I can now picture you reading this). It is funny what brings us back, how so many things are associated with our childhood. I really like this line:

Sitting in the rewind I am lost in a time of dreaming

...and the ending.
Kerry O'Connor said…
..each prince in puddle and pond.. I adore this line! Hooray for the frogs of springtime!