Eating Shadows


Monsters surround me swimming
with gap toothed punctuation.
“You can’t” dribbles from chins
sitting on stiff necks of dead imagination.

Their words strike my shield
and slide to the ground melting
into a pool of inconsequence.

It isn’t the first time doubters
sought to slay my dreams
by breathing their noxious
negativity into my air of faith.

I grew up being fed porridge
made of never sprinkled
with “Why can’t you be
like everyone else?”

I was seven years old when
I realized I had the ability
to eat other people’s shadows
who blocked originality’s sunlight.
They were merely dark fluff
attempting to build a wall
to keep me from being me.

Dressed in beaded whatever
I bypass the monsters’ diet
of contrary comments
and dine on sustenance
rich with “I can.”


©Susie Clevenger 2013


Today I was prompted on New World Creative Union's Wednesday Wake-Up Call to share some wisdom or life lesson I learned and at Real Toads Out of Standard ~ The Irony of Hamilton Cork we were prompted to use a quote verbatim by Hamilton Cork. I thought I would attempt to complete the mission of both in one poem, and this is the result.(This is the quote from Hamilton Cork I chose. "“I was seven years old when I realized I had the ability to eat other people’s shadows.”)

Comments

Fireblossom said…
Oh mercy, I grew up on that same grim diet. Obviously, I went on a hunger strike! Great poem, Susie, and I LOVE that video! Where did you find that?
Peggy said…
What glorious spirit you have in this poem! So glad you ate those shadows!
Hannah said…
"“You can’t” dribbles from chins
sitting on stiff necks of dead imagination."

This is so dark and so freshly worded, Susie!!

I love the ending, too so powerful...I like the direction you took this sentence!! I almost picked this one, too. :)
Sabio Lantz said…
Fascinating -- eating obstacle shadows. Keep gobbling. Great read -- and enjoyed the tune.
Susan said…
“You can’t” dribbles from chins
sitting on stiff necks of dead imagination."

An image i wish i had written! And the rich food of ican.
Sherry Blue Sky said…
I love the sustenance rich with "I can". Great write, Susie.
Kay L. Davies said…
Wonderful, wonderful, Susie! I love your upbeat attitude.
K
Love the them, eating shadows that try to take away your wonderful, creative, unique light. I have always felt the same way. Nice work.
i ADORE your poem, Susie! especially the ending!!!

fabulous music video as well!

Kerry O'Connor said…
I love your interpretation of this unusual line, and even more, I love these lines of your own:

I grew up being fed porridge
made of never sprinkled
with “Why can’t you be
like everyone else?”
hyperCRYPTICal said…
Excellent Susie.

It is obvious from your writing that you were fed the right kind of porridge and your individuality shines through.

You 'can' indeed!

Anna :o]
I used the same line and went in a different direction. LOVE this ode to rising above the "porridge sprinkled" with conformist ideals. So defiant, like a fist shaken at the world. BRILL. Amy
http://sharplittlepencil.com/2013/01/31/chanteuse-in-sneakers/
Sheila said…
such an optimist! great for you. :)
Helen said…
... and don't you be harshing my mellow either!!

Great write, Susie!!
Marian said…
wow, this is great, Susie, some inspirational speaking! i'm impressed that you got to this from one of those crazy sentences. oh and also i strive to avoid the "pool of inconsequence," thanks for giving it a name. :)
Isadora Gruye said…
First off....terribly sorry about the delayed commenting...I truly love this, the monsters the imagery, the fireceness of shadow eating. Love this susie. You always bring so much to the table! Thanks for participating.