Carrie and the Ordinarians



The Ordinarians mumble,
Fantasy, it is another
fall into her imagination
where reality has been
hung from the knotted rope
of exaggeration.

Carrie, there are
no singing scissors
or dancing kittens.
You were dreaming again.

Yes there is! I saw them
just as the nether moon
rose in the western sky.

Zig Zag had eyes of charcoal
and sang the yellow star song
to Teezer, Sneezer and Tweezer
as they danced around
the winnowseed bush.

Does she have a fever?
Trince County is seeing
an epidemic of tinsel flu.

I don’t have a fever!
They were right there
where the circle is cut
 in the fickleberry leaves.

Give Carrie a dose
 of Practicarium.
It is said to rid the body
of useless imagination.
Once swallowed she will
be as boring as the rest of us.

Holding a spoon of the gray goo
the elder statesman of the Ordinarians
approached her to administer
fantasy’s antidote.

With a snap of her fingers
and a shouted, I won’t,
Carrie disappeared into
the purple mist of
imagination’s cloak.



©Susie Clevenger 2013

Kerry at Real Toads challenged us
to create our own imaginary world.
In my world I used a photo of my
daughter Carrie and wrote a world
around her. :)











Comments

Fireblossom said…
Good for Carrie! They were never able to dose me, either, though they tried!
hedgewitch said…
Too much good writing in this to quote back, but I especially love the yellow star song and the fickleberry leaves. And it seems like in every world, there is always someone waiting with that spoon of grey goop for those who see things differently. Fantastic(literally and figuratively) take on the prompt, Susie.
Helen said…
Oh No! A dose of Practicarium .. say it isn't so!
Kay L. Davies said…
Good for Carrie, avoiding the grey goop! Smart little girls and boys will avoid it or spit it out.
K
Unknown said…
Stand your ground, Carrie! Stand your ground!
Marian said…
ooooh i like this one, Susie. it also seems kinda steampunkish. which is wonderful. yay!
Peggy said…
Enjoyed the descriptions here and the story your created. I am so glad Carrie escaped!!
Kerry O'Connor said…
This is just excellent, Susie. Your wit is evident as your tease out the irony of the tale. I love this moment:
Give Carrie a dose
of Practicarium...
How often is imagination stifled in children, and how dire the consequences for society when people cease to dream and invent.
Hannah said…
I love your take on this Susie!!! I got right into your characters!! Very well done...I love that she disappears into purple mist...that's the memory color...they'll never be able to forget her. ♥
Manicddaily said…
Ah, terrific. Run Carrie run! they didn't get Susie, they won't get you! k.
Manicddaily said…
Susie- don't see my comment- this is so great - I'll come back to check if it got posted, just because I don't want you not to realize how much I like it. k .
Sherry Blue Sky said…
Smart girl, leaping into the purple cloak!Yucky gray goo! Lovely language in this piece - the nethermoon, the winnowseed bush......
Ella said…
I love this and I know you too wear a purple cloak! Your photos told me so ;D
Sreeja said…
loved this Susie... the Carrie here is sure, precious.
kulasa said…
how this made me miss my bubbles and lights in the air and the wings and halo and magic wand I had as a child :)...just perfect for me to spice up this ordinary day...:)
jasmine calyx said…
Oh yes. I like this very much. Especially your title and your sound/rhyme/flow throughout.
Ben Ditty said…
Aw, have you shared it with her?
Susie Clevenger said…
Yes Ben, I shared it with her. She loved it.