Moth Holes in Dogma


Revelation labeled
me a miscreant
and the faithful
gave me a
verbal boot kick
into the flames.

I was set
at hell’s gate
when I removed
my self righteous cloak.

It’s weight became
too heavy when
light left moth holes
in their dogma.

My spirit had
been shown
there was more
than one path
to our creator.

Evidently love
bears all things
except expressing
God had given me
a change of heart.


Susie Clevenger 2012
Real Toad's A Word With Laurie: Miscreant
Laurie challenged us to write a poem
using the word miscreant.


Comments

Daydreamertoo said…
When the good book doesn't have the right answers we need to look elsewhere because the answers are there, just not in the places where we've always been taught they were.
We need to always be open to enlightenment.
Lovely poetry. Loved the moth holes letting in light :) Gentle and yet powerful in its truths.
Margaret said…
light left moth holes
in their dogma...

That is what happens when we start to think, sometimes. But sometimes I have been surprised that with further exploration dogma isn't always wrong. ("Religion" has been quite a journey for me) I liked this poem.
Susan said…
Perfect title for letting some light and air from the world into the warmth of a closed society! And love? Loyal to the clan first, I think. No one executes heretics any more, yes?

The extended metaphor works well and the happy lilt of your words shows that in addition to the name calling and possible exclusion from heaven, your character has joy in her heart.
Sherry Blue Sky said…
I especially love the closing stanza - so right on!!!!! And you managed a poem about the word miscreant. Good for you!