Faded Secrets

Yellow letters in a trunk
Faded secrets whispering
From another decade

A war that engulfed the world
Brought home in the words
Of a lonely soldier

I miss your arms holding me
My bunk a refuge
Where your letters comfort

Large X’s across a page
I can’t wait to see you again
I carry you in my heart

Home I am home
But I have returned
To a new war

Trust has been broken
My bride writing to another
While I was across the ocean

I just got here now I must leave
Packing my broken heart
And going back to my roots

I will wait here until I hear
Do you still love me
Am I what you want

Yellow tears reaching
The hearts of children
They have just discovered secrets



©Susie Clevenger 2011


Comments

LigerLily said…
beautiful poetry,
I also am a big fan of butterflies

http://turqoisemoon.blogspot.com/