A Dull Light On My Sunny Side


Oh, Government, you are
a dull light on my sunny side.
You never fail to provide the stink
if I decide I want to skate
somewhere on the fault line.

I rather like roller skating on bullshit.
There is honesty in its odor
The surface muck has enough lie
to support figure eights and
side stepping double speak.

Not to be political but political,
government marble halls
are always fresh with mess.
My standard skate wear is I won’t
believe a thing preconceived
assumptions accessorized
with my follow the money glasses.
I don’t need to waste
a new outlook, because
Truth never gets past
the special interest detector.

©Susie Clevenger 2017

Comments

brudberg said…
I would love a bit of rollerskating on the political scene... maybe a roller-derby instead?
Whew! I feel like you grabbed me by the hair and shook me. May you continue to do so to 'government'!
Sanaa Rizvi said…
My standard skate wear is I won’t
believe a thing preconceived
assumptions accessorized
with my follow the money glasses.

This is bang on brilliant!!
Anonymous said…
Truth? What is that? But if we watch LA's recall attempt of Sen. Newman, there might be hope.
Gillena Cox said…
Well politics I stay clear off in my writing because I just don't know how to word that kind of stuff. Reading it in other writers poems. I don't always get it.
But i understand your annoyance at present ( new Normal) situations and find your poem quite interesting

Much love...
Debi Swim said…
"government marble halls
are always fresh with mess." I think you nailed the irony
Kerry O'Connor said…
I rather like roller skating on bullshit.
There is honesty in its odor...

Don't know who could beat these lines, Susie. Your pragmatic and satirical tone really made me laugh.
Magaly Guerrero said…
I can't stop roaring at the second stanza, at its truth... and humor. I love how this sounds aloud, how the tone refuses to be read without a tad of disdain and pure exhaustion added to the voice.

Wonderful.
Anonymous said…
It used to be the thrill of it all ... now we contend with the trudge in the gall. Satire was one of the black arts of the poet; a king could be embare-assed by a riposte about new clothes. Dull light, shine on!