Beyond This Death Ship



Out beyond this death ship
that has me gravity bound
is a blue marble where my
mirror reflection breathes
free of all my errors.

She is what I should be…
kind, generous, not easily angered.
A dreamer who isn’t daunted
by no’s that build blockades.

Her dress is never wrinkled.
She is organized, has an excellent
memory, doesn’t bite her nails,
weighs each word before
it slips from her tongue.

But though I envy her, there
are bits of me she doesn’t
possess in her side of the universe.

Muddy shoes don’t bother me.
I dance while the world stands still.
Tomorrow is a mantra for my
procrastination. I am deaf when
looking through my camera lens.

The other me doesn’t have my vision,
my heart, the tiny scar beneath my
bottom lip, my sense of humor.

On the other side of the moon
my mirror image is the perfect me
I’ll never be. I am finding peace in being flawed.


©Susie Clevenger 2014

Fireblossom over at Real Toads has prompted us to write about the other you...A you that looks just like you, but that could be where the similarities end.

Fireblossom Friday ~ Another you


Comments

There's a lovely settling in with self that comes with age and is reflected here. Just as we are. flaws making us that much more interesting.
Gail said…
"peace in being flawed" I will never forget that line.
Kathryn Dyche said…
learning to love ourselves and our perceived flaws can be hard . . . love this write.
I'm with you in this- finding peace in my flawed self.
hedgewitch said…
'Death ship' is such a powerful metaphor, Susie, for so much that effects this life. I think we are as drawn to the flaws in others, and as bonded to our friends and loved ones because of them as by their virtues--it's a mix that doesn't separate. We are what we are because of both.
Kerry O'Connor said…
Yes! There is beauty in imperfection: and the scars and quirks are all part of good character.
Sherry Blue Sky said…
I LOVE this, especially "I am finding peace in being flawed." You seem pretty wonderful to us, Susie! I love this poem!
a perfect example of the grass is NOT always greener on the other side ~ i wouldn't give up what i have in this me for "perfection" in another either. powerful write, Susie!

Magaly Guerrero said…
And I wonder how many times in an hour the one in the mirror yearns for a "tiny scar beneath [her] bottom lip..."

I think "peace in being flawed" is the perfection we should all aim for. ♥
Fireblossom said…
This is really cool. Making friends with our flaws is hard work, but maybe essential work, too.
Helen said…
This is breathtaking and intimate and honest.
Hannah said…
I totally relate with your closing line and I love the little details you bring this to life with like the tiny scar. This is beautiful and honest.