"I am hearing poetry when awake, dreaming poetry when asleep, breathing poetry with each breath, I am living in a poem."

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Trapped Immortality


The chorded neck
blue veined, exquisite,
you are beauty,
pink life, my love.

I have partaken
of your mortality
that I might continue
my trapped immortality.

How does a dead heart beat again?

My chest heaves
with longing
when I must seek
escape in coffined sleep.

I am a moth attracted
to the hope that illuminates
from within you.
Yet I am most hopeless.

My fanged scars
have marred the porcelain
of your delicate neck,
my blood initials marking you.

How can I so evil feel so tender?

I wish to rob you of your mortality
and take you into my haunted nights,
but love would not have you
walk the death in which I exist.

Goodbye is torn from me.
I will retreat that you might live.
If you hear the moon cry,
it will be I grieving in my damned immortality.

©Susie Clevenger 2012
The Challenge at dVerse Poets Pub was to write about vampires.
I had so much fun with this one. Romance that bites. :)




13 comments :

Claudia said...

wow...he loves her enough to let her live.. i'd say that this is a rather noble vampire...probably was an english gentleman once...smiles...i like

hedgewitch said...

Very romantic view, Susie. And it's very life-affirming to feel that even death and evil can be redeemed by love.

chromapoesy.com said...

I like your empathetic take on the prompt. The sacrifice of the vampire is touching.

Mark Windham said...

to hear the moon cry...true angst. Well done.

Brian Miller said...

what a conflicted blood sucker...can a dead heart still beat...i think it might...haha...lovely romantic view on the vampires susie...

Semaphore said...

An unanticipated ending to the vampire myth, with love indeed conquering all.

Mary Mansfield said...

I feel so sorry for that vampire...it's just heart-breaking! Nicely written.

Blue Flute said...

Well-written, nice rhythm, good internal conflict in the vampire

Heaven said...

he..he...romantic write...he is not so bad after all ~ very nice ~

Polly said...

'I will retreat that you might live' - heart rending - a compassionate vamp - wonderful writing

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Great job with that prompt! Unexpectedly romantic.

Thinking said...

hmm....I never thought that there can be poems or poetry on vamp as well...

nice...

sheila said...

oh, I like the twisted ending!

© Confessions Of A Laundry Goddess , AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena