Trapped Immortality


The chorded neck
blue veined, exquisite,
you are beauty,
pink life, my love.

I have partaken
of your mortality
that I might continue
my trapped immortality.

How does a dead heart beat again?

My chest heaves
with longing
when I must seek
escape in coffined sleep.

I am a moth attracted
to the hope that illuminates
from within you.
Yet I am most hopeless.

My fanged scars
have marred the porcelain
of your delicate neck,
my blood initials marking you.

How can I so evil feel so tender?

I wish to rob you of your mortality
and take you into my haunted nights,
but love would not have you
walk the death in which I exist.

Goodbye is torn from me.
I will retreat that you might live.
If you hear the moon cry,
it will be I grieving in my damned immortality.

©Susie Clevenger 2012
The Challenge at dVerse Poets Pub was to write about vampires.
I had so much fun with this one. Romance that bites. :)




Comments

Claudia said…
wow...he loves her enough to let her live.. i'd say that this is a rather noble vampire...probably was an english gentleman once...smiles...i like
hedgewitch said…
Very romantic view, Susie. And it's very life-affirming to feel that even death and evil can be redeemed by love.
Anonymous said…
I like your empathetic take on the prompt. The sacrifice of the vampire is touching.
Mark Windham said…
to hear the moon cry...true angst. Well done.
Brian Miller said…
what a conflicted blood sucker...can a dead heart still beat...i think it might...haha...lovely romantic view on the vampires susie...
Semaphore said…
An unanticipated ending to the vampire myth, with love indeed conquering all.
I feel so sorry for that vampire...it's just heart-breaking! Nicely written.
Frank Watson said…
Well-written, nice rhythm, good internal conflict in the vampire
Scarlet said…
he..he...romantic write...he is not so bad after all ~ very nice ~
Polly said…
'I will retreat that you might live' - heart rending - a compassionate vamp - wonderful writing
Great job with that prompt! Unexpectedly romantic.
Thinking said…
hmm....I never thought that there can be poems or poetry on vamp as well...

nice...
sheila said…
oh, I like the twisted ending!