Street Signs In My Heart


How do I live in my division?
There are street signs in my heart
sending me in so many directions.

For each step forward there are
roadblocks of guilt set before me,
should I, shouldn’t I, he wants, she wants.

Is it love to deny my own dreams
and let myself be pulled with teeth gritted
and bitterness seeded into another’s wish?

Damn the intrusion, the forced will,
the wish to please that rules me.
I must pull their street signs from me.

It is not their life to live, but mine.
I shall smile and say, “No thank you.”
And walk the direction of my dreams.


©Susie Clevenger 2012

Comments

Anonymous said…
LOVE this take on Kellie's prompt!! Bravo ~~ thank you for sharing. I am nearly finished working on mine!
Have a great weekend!! ~~ becca
Anonymous said…
Excellent interpretation ... focuses on the issue with which most people wrestle with ....'It is not their life to live, but mine' great line, great principle but one so hard to adhere to.

Certainly was a great poem prompt and one I enjoyed tackling too
Kerry O'Connor said…
I love the idea behind this poem - I'm sure many women can relate to your words - the roles of wife and mother seem to take away individual freedom.
Sherry Blue Sky said…
YES! I recognize that "wish to please". I suffer from it, too. LOVE the final stanza about walking in the direction of one's dreams.