My Chocolate Sin

I had too much fun with  Mary's Mixed Bag Challenge at Real Toads, "Let's Go To The Movies. I think just writing it made my blood sugar go up. Please visit Real Toads to see the other poet's responses to Mary's challenge. I used the movie Chocolat for my inspiration.




A church and a candy shop,
denial and temptation,
Tranquility seduced by chocolate.
A temptress stirs a village
wearing an apron and wielding a spoon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Chocolate is my serpent,
it hisses with its aroma,
it tempts with its taste.

Chocolate’s addiction
lures me into its sweet web
to be consumed by the confection drug.

I seek a confession booth
to speak those two words,
“Never again.”

My confession dishonest,
I say the words to receive
a moment’s absolution.

Cast from diet’s Eden
I deny the cocoa bean’s control,
my soul lost to my chocolate sin.


©Susie Clevenger 2012

Comments

De Jackson said…
LoveloveLOVE that movie! Your poem is wonderful!
Grace said…
Your words are delicious and

I must watch this movie...thanks
Maude Lynn said…
Me, too! Love this.
Mary said…
Hi Susie, did this ever make me smile as I read this. We all have addictions of one kind or another. Chocolate is not the worst. I love the way it 'hisses with its aroma.'
Lolamouse said…
Come to the dark (chocolate) side, Laundry Goddess.
De Jackson said…
Thought I left a comment, but maybe I messed up when submitting it. Loved this movie, and love your "sweet" poem. Your opening stanza:

"A church and a candy shop,
denial and temptation,
Tranquility seduced by chocolate.
A temptress stirs a village
wearing an apron and wielding a spoon."

is the PERFECT synopsis of the movie. Just gorgeous.
Ella said…
I almost picked this movie~
Your words are as yummy as the movie!~
Decadent and so filled with the magic and mood the movie portrays!

I know this dark temptation ;D
Anonymous said…
It's been a long time since I've seen that movie . . . :)

As I read your words, it made me crave chocolate, yet I don't think I have any in the house, urgh! :)
Fireblossom said…
Susie, I don't even try to lay off the chocolate. I'm a chocoholic, and that's the way it is. I don't need a lot of it, but I need *some* every ding dong day.

That movie was wonderful! I blundered across it on tv one weekend.