Beneath Green Boughs

                                                                  
I loved you beneath
the green boughs
of an oak tree.

My body hummed
to the song your hands
played upon my flesh.

Our green umbrella
was our shield
from prying eyes.

And moments
chased by the
fleeing hands of a clock.

Tomorrow seemed
a distance we would
never have to travel.

Today was our sun,
our moon, our stars
reflected in emerald.

I kissed your lips.
felt your heartbeat,
was lost in Eros’ dream.

But denial didn’t save us
from the ending
of the day.

I couldn’t be yours.
You couldn’t be mine.
Tomorrow robbed us both.

We spoke our goodbyes
and asked the great oak
to keep our secret tucked in its leaves.

  
©Susie Clevenger 2012
Photograph: Photobucket

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bittersweet romance!!!
There are so many stanzas I like ... among them

Our green umbrella
was our shield
from prying eyes.
Anonymous said…
What a sad ending! Having a heart broken when a love dies is a painful tragedy! I loved how you weaved this story though. The line, "My body hummed to the song your hand played upon my flesh" was my favorite. :)
Maude Lynn said…
This is lovely! I love the way it moves.
Ginny Brannan said…
Really like this Susie, image and poetry both. Beautiful. (Hmmm...am sure this was in No way influenced by the photo recently shared on my page, lol!!) Intimate and very well done Susie. Nice capture.
Brian Miller said…
oh this is a bit painful...love the setting of the love beneath the boughs of the tree but the loss of it there in the end is so hard....