Adam's Rib


To follow
without question,
the expected
woman’s
 destiny.

Adam’s rib
molded into
subservience
by fingers
of blame.

The sisters
of Eden
whispered
choice was
not their lot.
                                                                                                                    
Their silence
could not
be kept
as many became
one voice.

“Free us from this yoke of inequality. We shall walk beside Adam and not behind.
The garden’s apple was not marred by a single bite. It bore the scar of two”


©Susie Clevenger 2012
Fireblossom Friday #6 ~ Real Toads
Fireblossom challenged us to create a poem from the artwork of 
My poem was written more from the historical setting of when Mucha painted the image not of the present day. Although it seems there are those who would turn back the hands of equality.

Comments

Mary said…
Thank goodness, women's destiny has changed today, and that women do NOT follow without question. I do think women ARE freed from inequality....or at least I hope.
Teresa said…
I love this poem! Truly women have untied to change their role.
Karen said…
An excellent write! Unfortunately it is still the destiny of many women who are not lucky enough to live in the Western world.
Helen said…
We are women hear us ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sherry Blue Sky said…
I love that you set your poem in the time of the artist's work......great write, kiddo.
Ginny Brannan said…
Susie, love this, especially the very last line."It bore the scar of two," indeed!! Excellent piece!
Kerry O'Connor said…
This is such a clever interpretation of this picture. By far the vast majority of women in the modern day are not free - only those in the Western world may claim that right. In The Far and Middle East and Africa the picture is very different. We can never cease to sing the song of equality for all.
Mystic_Mom said…
what a great poem, and a rallying cry...love the closing quote. It is so true, there were TWO bites upon that apple! Well written.
Marian said…
wow, susie. more, please.
PattiKen said…
Amen.

It worries me that there is so much happening in the U.S. right now that seems to be trying to turn back the clock. I hope our daughters and granddaughters continue to enjoy our hard-won bits of equality
hedgewitch said…
You've chosen one of my favorite Mucha paintings to write to(search my blog for the erotic fantasy *I* made of it,--go figure--called Fruit Basket, if interested) and you are so right about those that want to stick that rib in us as an indictment of what a woman is--the uncontrollable and only source of life--instead of respect and honor her for it. This is one of my faves of yours, Susie.
Kay L. Davies said…
I agree with Patti, and I hope Mary is right. Canadian politicians want women to follow without question, and it is scary.
Well done, Susie. Very well done.
K
Fireblossom said…
Yes! This roars and sings and dances, asking nobody's permission, thank you very much. I love what they say, the quote you ended with, and also your sage remark underneath that there are those...

Thanks for being part of my challenge, Susie!
Hannah said…
I love your take on it Susie and your after statement...so true!!