Coffee, Tea, or Wings

Tipping Point by Anne Byrd

“Who would deduce the dragonfly from the larva, the iris from the bud, the lawyer from the infant? ... We are all shape-shifters and magical reinventors. Life is really a plural noun, a caravan of selves.” ~ Diane Ackerman

Morning arrives on dragonfly wings,
and I wonder who I’ll be
when my coffee cup is empty.

Is there an edge I must walk, be a diplomat
when I want to enter the war of words,
bloom where worry tills stones?

My mind keeps writing script my spirit must edit.
Anger wants its outrage, laughter its comedy.
The wing shift brushes silver in my palms.

On the outside I look my scruffy normal,
but within I am a tea of tipping points.
It is hard to know which brew will win.


©Susie Clevenger 2017

Ann Byrd has graciously given permission to use her art print, Tipping Point, for our creative inspiration at Real Toads. Please visit Ann on Facebook, at Ann Byrd Art or her website, annbyrdart.com to see more of her incredible work.

Comments

Sanaa Rizvi said…
My goodness!💕 I absolutely adore the opening stanza; "Morning arrives on dragonfly wings,
and I wonder who I’ll be when my coffee cup is empty." Sigh... beautiful penned, Susie!💕
Margaret said…
Third stanza is very true - and I like how you incorporated the title of the artwork into your point- "tipping point"
Sherry Blue Sky said…
"My mind keeps writing script my spirit must edit." Wow, Susie! Stellar. "A tea of tipping points" - I love it!
Fireblossom said…
And having won, how long can it hold on before the next change?
I like the idea of shifting selves and the ability to choose. And I particularly like the phrase, 'where worry tills stones'.
Old Egg said…
Who knows the person (creature) we are within for we all keep our secrets selves hidden. Great food for thought!
So many lines I loved in this but my two favorites are: "Morning arrives on dragonfly wings,..." and "My mind keeps writing script my spirit must edit." Really wonderful how the words danced with ideas throughout
Anonymous said…
Susie you have a superlative way with words - - overflowing with contrary emotions but always at the well-spring of inspiration :"within I am a tea of tipping points"
Vivian Zems said…
This really got me. The first stanza is wow... and then you come up with 'but within I am a tea of tipping points'... nice one :)