Suitcase Thinking


I am packing my suitcase
with more than I need,
and less than I know.

It is hard dressing for tomorrow
when today is still tied to my shoelaces.

Weather reports attempt
to fortune tell how many
raindrops will drown concrete.
It could be a downpour of drizzles.

I am planning for cold, but the sun
could deny winter’s freeze and
have me sweating in sweaters.

I am a pessimistic optimist,
thinking the worst while
planning for the best.

Everything fits when the zipper zips.
My suitcase is packed with more
than I need and less than I know.

 ©Susie Clevenger 2016




Comments

brudberg said…
I love how you have worked with something "ordinary" like packing your bag, while extending this to a general truth on how to handle change.
Sherry Blue Sky said…
This is one of my favourites of yours, Susie........I especially love "It is hard dressing for tomorrow when today is still tied to my shoelaces." I am a pessimistic optimist too, leaning heavily towards the pessimistic in light of our current reality tv show.........
Isadora Gruye said…
Well done Susie. I appreciate the repetition of the first and last lines, and I also adore the image of today clinging to shoe laces. Thanks so much for posting to the Out of Standard and Viva La.
Kerry O'Connor said…
I always find a kind of wry wisdom in your poems, Susie. Excellent imagery.
Anonymous said…
Imaginary metaphor for meeting tomorrow. very creative
Maude Lynn said…
This is outstanding, Susie. I relate to this so much.
grapeling said…
you wrap this so well, Susie ~
Anonymous said…
The conundrum of what to pack and what to leave -- surely a future tension -- springs some awesome oppositional zingers here. My favorites were in the first and second stanzas -- incredible. The speaker of this poem is herself the question: which self to bring, how many to leave behind? Great work.