Where Music Lost My Name

"That long black cloud is comin' down
I feel I'm knockin' on heaven's door."
Knockin' On Heaven's Door ~ Bob Dylan


The drum’s drummin’
the trumpet’s playin’
The choir opens its hymnal
to the page where music lost my name.

I feel I’m knockin’ on heaven’s door,
but the Holy Ghost won’t use his key.

There’s a whole lot of damnin’
in the preacher’s hollow hallelujah.
Wine pourin’ from an unholy glass
into the test I couldn’t pass.

Another chorus of Hell Can Have Her
rocks the blood stained revival.

A long black cloud is writing my name.
I feel I’m knockin’ on heaven’s door,
but the Holy Ghost won’t use his key.

©Susie Clevenger 2016

Tulsa Oklahoma's Tulsa University Helmerich Center for American Research will permantly house a 6,000 + Bob Dylan Collection. Once it is archived it will be available for public viewing. 



Comments

kaykuala said…
An icon no other who had won all there are to win. The Nobel is the ultimate!

Hank
Kerry O'Connor said…
the page where music lost my name

This is a startling and profound image.
Sherry Blue Sky said…
Very evocative of Dylan, you captured his voice to perfection.
brudberg said…
Yes a locked door... sometimes it feels we are doing that in vain, great use of the lines.
Anonymous said…
well penned thoughts
Jim said…
Oh Susie, this is a tough one, gets real personal. Especially the lines, "Another chorus of 'Hell Can Have Her' rocks the blood stained revival". So cruel for them to SAY that "you're" given up on.
I hope it isn't true, but I'm sure there are some who feel that for them it is the way things have gone.
..
Kim M. Russell said…
You've captured Dylan's essence in this poem, Susie, without over-using his words.
Helen said…
I could sing this, Susie! Love your tribute to Dylan.
Fireblossom said…
That's awesome about the collection!
Outlawyer said…
Wonderful tribute. I find this song one of the saddest, almost unbearably so. Thanks. k.