A Half Wing Short Of Flight


I hash tag drudgery
with planned procrastination,
erase some thoughts,
put a lock on my tongue.

A half wing short of flight
I camp out in my dandelion nest
waiting for the sky to deliver a sign.

Three shadows closer to frantic
I spoon feed my spirit artificial calm
and pray patience isn’t a written exam.

Just before despondent reaches wit’s end
magic pockets its glitter to jewel
my silver lining with heartbeats of onyx.

I always thought angels wore white,
but the ones dropping at my feet looked
more like mourners in their tar feather best.

With claw and caw they plucked self pity
from my breast while admonishing,  
“Sitting won’t bring the wind’s urge to soar.”

Like a cloud stealing doom they rise to pencil the sun
with a watchman’s oath, “We’ll be your eyes
when midnight curtains your view.”



Comments

brudberg said…
Oh yes a bit gothic.. but ravens are among the best of all totems... love the internal rhymes here.
Bekkie Sanchez said…
The lines "I spoon feed my spirit artificial calm
and pray patience isn’t a written exam." are awesome! Very good Jim!
Bekkie Sanchez said…
Sorry, I called you Jim Susie! I am always one name ahead when reading people's poems and I've done this before. Can't edit so excuse my spacy self. Lol!
Kerry O'Connor said…
pray patience isn’t a written exam...

There's something I can relate to.
Maude Lynn said…
This is absolutely my favorite of yours ever!
Sherry Blue Sky said…
WOW! This is an amazement of a poem. with too many spectacular lines and images to repeat. This poem has both wings in fullflight! Bravo!
Gillena Cox said…
Beautifully imaged. Luv the opening verse for it surely points a direction to gaze

Happy you dropped in to read mine

Much love...
Anonymous said…
This is awesome.

I love these lines:
"I hash tag drudgery"
"Three shadows closer to frantic"
"magic pockets its glitter to jewel
my silver lining with heartbeats of onyx"
"rise to pencil the sun"
Wonderful poem – and wonderful 'angels'.
Ellecee said…
A wonderful poem,,,edgy and elluminating,, "I always thought angels wore white, but the ones dropping at my feet looked more like mourners in their tar feather best" grateful we are for our angels in whatever form the come to lift us up,,
Kim M. Russell said…
Oh, I love these lines:
'A half wing short of flight
I camp out in my dandelion nest
waiting for the sky to deliver a sign.'
Hannah said…
So many excellent lines, Susie...I love this part:



"With claw and caw they plucked self pity
from my breast"

Excellent poem and perfect picture to accompany...thank you for adding your voice to the challenge!
I loved this. "I always thought angels wore white,
but the ones dropping at my feet looked
more like mourners in their tar feather best."