Life Is A Game Of Solitary


Life is a game of solitary. I keep shuffling and
laying down cards until I win.

Some call me the queen of hearts because
I have a cardboard box filled with Valentine corpses,
Hallmark dribble glitter glued to overpriced.

I love wearing sensible shoes, a solid base
for supporting my hip sway when making exits.
It knocks the brag swagger off a man’s tongue
when he realizes I didn’t buy what he was selling.

“You got a match?” I’d like to add a little more
atmosphere for Nosey Eyes across the street.
She just Windexed her kitchen window.
I’m a regular topic at her Saturday tea and gossip.

Life is coffee stained grand with just enough
caffeine to wide eye boredom. Stop back in
the next time you want to exorcise silence,
pulling words from stone is just one of my talents.

©Susie Clevenger 2016

I chose to replay:

Fireblossom Friday: The Art of Gerda Wegener



Comments

Jim said…
I love your poem, Susie. Both it and your picture choice remind me of my mom. I have 1920's pictures of her with that hair style. Dad would tease her by saying that she was a "flapper" when he married her in 1932. As a teen I would find her staying up late playing Solitare. Dad went to bed early but the two of us were night owls. I don't know that she smoked, re your 'asking for a light,' but my sister and I did find some of her erotic drawings hidden in one of her old poetry books.
I sat this challenge out, it was New Years Eve.
..
Sherry Blue Sky said…
You picked one of the paintings I like the most, and swirled a wonderful story around her..............so many great lines....I especially love the swagger in her walking away. Great work, Susie. Loved it.
A vivivdly created character; now she's real.
Magaly Guerrero said…
"I have a cardboard box filled with Valentine corpses"

I'm extremely envious of this fantastic line, Susie. How I like this speaker!
brudberg said…
I love this poem, and how you flesh out the character's mix of independence and loneliness... it really paint a very bleak picture of the world that has to do to quench that free spirit...
Rommy said…
I love the boldness of the speaker. You've created such an interesting character. Miss Nosy across the street isn't the only one interested in what she'll do next.
Kerry O'Connor said…
Susie, there are so many great lines in this poem, I couldn't copy and paste them all. Above everything, I love the bitingly sarcastic tone - so perfect for the painting.
Bekkie Sanchez said…
This piece gave me a great perspective on how it would have been Susie. It still is in many cases. I agree with Kerry, many good lines!
Therisa's World said…
There's an intermixing of sadness and boldness, throughout the poem, which describes so many of us, lonely hearts, of the world. As Magaly, so rightly states, about your line: "I have a cardboard box filled with Valentine corpses"
Any poet would give their eye teeth, for this fantastic line, that you wrote.
Wow! I love "valentine corpses", You brought a character to life.