Welcome to My Tilt-A-Whirl


Image ~ Karin Gustafson 


I don’t remember…It’s a plague
following me from room to room.

I have the attention span of a
four- year- old chocolate stuffed
and Kool-Aid drunk.

I have no grand excuses
of putting out fires,
burning floor space
to accomplish goals.

I see what needs to go there
while here is a mess.
I wander there finding here
is not the there I was supposed to be.

Sticky notes are my preferred wallpaper.
They are multi-colored ink smudges
penned with good intentions
only to end as funeral bouquets
for mental lapses.

I don’t remember.
I am fidgety,
easily distracted,
dive into hyper focus,
forget to eat,
lose time,
have outbursts
of giggles or anger.

Hello, my name is Susie, and I have A.D.D.
(Attention Deficit Disorder).
Welcome to my Tilt-A-Whirl. 

©Susie Clevenger 2015


Real Toads ~ Blocking Writer's Block

I couldn't write about the horrific events that have occurred over the past week in a world gone mad. I am too numb to even approach it at this time. 

Comments

hedgewitch said…
Eloquently expressed, Susie. A very difficult condition to live with--you make us feel it and live through it with the narator here--and I can;t say I haven't had my moments, so I can relate on one level--but a fit of hyperactivity is nothing like a lifetime of it pulling at you. I especially like the simile 'chocolate stuffed and Kool Aid drunk..'
Gail said…
And I thought I was just multi-tasking.
Outlawyer said…
Hey Susie--you manage to focus on this topic supremely well! You create a vivid picture--I call it A.G.E.--oh dear--not to be agist. But I really relate to the there not being the there it was supposed to be, while the here is also unclear. Really well done. Thanks so much for participating--and using Pearl's pic! She was honestly pretty focused--at least when it came to food! Take care, k.
Kerry O'Connor said…
I always find your output in terms of poetry, to be very focuses and precise, so you must have the tilt-a-whirl under control. I enjoyed the ride!
Helen said…
And to top things off??? You are adorable.
brudberg said…
I think I understand how much attention you have to pay to write so eloquent... 7 minutes of focus is great.. and I found myself writing quite well to that... but you did great in giving cohesion to incohesion.
Jim said…
Life can be a mess at times. Mine is in the move, horrible experience.
I like the sticky note wallpaper. Is this literal or allegorical? I feel some is literal, I feel for you not eating.
..
Marian said…
Nice, Susie. I really feel the chaos in this! At least it gives rise to some wonderful creativity. :)
Rommy said…
Very apt description of a condition that affects so many.