"I am hearing poetry when awake, dreaming poetry when asleep, breathing poetry with each breath, I am living in a poem."

Sunday, November 29, 2015

A Waiting Divide

now Now NOw NOW

Patience is a test
the eye on the
clock hand fails.

There is so much
hurry in waiting.

A diagnosis
stands on the edge
of a cliff watching
tears erode tomorrow
while selfish flips
through a magazine
and grumbles about
minutes collecting
on a parking meter.

A stone wall divides
patients by hours
remaining.


©Susie Clevenger 2015

8 comments :

Jim said...

That stone wall is scary, Susie. I'd rather avoid that wait. I do hope I have a choice. Oregon, perhaps?
There is so much
hurry in waiting.
A lot of truth that I never realized before. "Hurry up, I'm waiting" is often felt, sometimes expressed, subtly and not so subtle.
A great write, I enjoyed it.
I didn't want to comment on the grumbles, but ... Why did you bring HIM along?
..

melindakucsera.com said...

A great poem that captures the essence of waiting and its tedium.

Fireblossom said...

I can almost detect the hospital waiting room smell in this one.

brudberg said...

Susie, I actually thought of you when I wrote the prompt... the stone-wall is such a powerful image. That is how I imagine it would be.

Marian said...

^^ Yes, what Shay said! So tactile.

Outlawyer said...

Agree with shay-- powerful.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh this kind of waiting is perhaps the most agonizing of all. Blessings, Susie.

Carol Campbell said...

Very intense and evoked that tension! Love the wall.

© Confessions Of A Laundry Goddess , AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena