One Cat Away From Crazy

Lilly sat by her window
dropping forks and
bribing fate.

If one dropped fork
meant a man would visit,
how much better the odds
if she gambled all her pronged silver.

Cupid had failed with his arrows.
Love had been nicked, but never
bled enough to down a soul mate.

With all the flowers in her garden
sacrificed to the game, He loves me…
He loves me not…she hoped romance
would prefer eating cake with a spoon

She was one cat away from crazy,
and a knitted afghan closer to eccentric.


©Susie Clevenger 2014

Comments

Kerry O'Connor said…
Ha! Those opening and closing lines are priceless, Susie... And we do some very strange things for love, or at least to bribe the gods to act on our behalf.

I loved it.
Aren't we strange and funny creatures- citizens of this age yet holding on to the maybes. I enjoyed this one.
Scarlet said…
I am aware of what that dropped fork meant ~ Hey, give me a spoon too, smiles ~ Love the title & that ending line ~
Sherry Blue Sky said…
I LOVE "one cat away from crazy and a knitted afghan closer to eccentric." Cackle.
Ginny Brannan said…
The cat-owner in me loves the title. Well done, those last two lines perfect!
Kathryn Dyche said…
Love this, what a fun write.
Anonymous said…
only one cat away? :) ~