Greeks And Ephesians

Wine flows
down his neck
in a river of excess.

Stubbing his toe
on ancient text he
trusts the Greeks’ advice
that a gold chained amethyst
will keep him in the proper spirit.

©Susie Clevenger 2014

Real Toads Out Of Standard

Izy at Real Toads prompted us to obscure the truth with facts. 

With paint fumes filling my head I took a few hits of The Amazing And Interesting Fact Generator and found "Ancient Greeks believed that wearing amethysts would help prevent a person from getting drunk."

Then a visit to Ephesians brought this advice. “And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit” Ephesians 5:18

P.S. The paint fumes are from getting my living room, dining, room, kitchen and library painted. :)

Comments

cosmos cami said…
Very playful. Makes my toe hurt. ;)
Susan said…
How delightfully absurd!
lolamouse said…
Maybe I should try that next time I have one too many!
Hannah said…
Nice! I had heard this before but not the origins...good to know...well stated, love the visual of stubbing the toe. :)
Margaret said…
Love the title and playful use of the prompt!
Magaly Guerrero said…
Sip, sip with bling to avoid the tipsy bits. How wonderfully crafty... ;-D
Would that it were that simple!
Ella said…
Nice! Yes, let it sip and drip~
Playful, except the toe!
Isadora Gruye said…
ohhhh, Susie, well played! I love your ine structure here, it certainly gives the piece a staggered feel which I much enjoyed!
Anonymous said…
Susie, I love you "keep him in the proper spirit." Lovely double entendre! This was a sly one, and isn't that thought generator fun? I hope someday to put a factoid in there... Amy
Jim said…
That beats a sack of garlic, Susie. But it costs a lot more too! Nice find!
..
funny. now where'd I put that amethyst? (hic!)
Kerry O'Connor said…
Ha! Isn't that just amazing? I love how you worked your fact into this funny and thought-provoking poem.