"I am hearing poetry when awake, dreaming poetry when asleep, breathing poetry with each breath, I am living in a poem."

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Greeks And Ephesians

Wine flows
down his neck
in a river of excess.

Stubbing his toe
on ancient text he
trusts the Greeks’ advice
that a gold chained amethyst
will keep him in the proper spirit.

©Susie Clevenger 2014

Real Toads Out Of Standard

Izy at Real Toads prompted us to obscure the truth with facts. 

With paint fumes filling my head I took a few hits of The Amazing And Interesting Fact Generator and found "Ancient Greeks believed that wearing amethysts would help prevent a person from getting drunk."

Then a visit to Ephesians brought this advice. “And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit” Ephesians 5:18

P.S. The paint fumes are from getting my living room, dining, room, kitchen and library painted. :)

13 comments :

cosmos cami said...

Very playful. Makes my toe hurt. ;)

Susan said...

How delightfully absurd!

lolamouse said...

Maybe I should try that next time I have one too many!

Hannah said...

Nice! I had heard this before but not the origins...good to know...well stated, love the visual of stubbing the toe. :)

Margaret said...

Love the title and playful use of the prompt!

Magaly Guerrero said...

Sip, sip with bling to avoid the tipsy bits. How wonderfully crafty... ;-D

Grandmother (Mary) said...

Would that it were that simple!

Ella said...

Nice! Yes, let it sip and drip~
Playful, except the toe!

Isadora Gruye said...

ohhhh, Susie, well played! I love your ine structure here, it certainly gives the piece a staggered feel which I much enjoyed!

sharplittlepencil.com said...

Susie, I love you "keep him in the proper spirit." Lovely double entendre! This was a sly one, and isn't that thought generator fun? I hope someday to put a factoid in there... Amy

Jim said...

That beats a sack of garlic, Susie. But it costs a lot more too! Nice find!
..

BelindaBroughton said...

funny. now where'd I put that amethyst? (hic!)

Kerry O'Connor said...

Ha! Isn't that just amazing? I love how you worked your fact into this funny and thought-provoking poem.

© Confessions Of A Laundry Goddess , AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena