The Mountain Fell

I used to climb the mountain
until the mountain fell,
lived in the light until
they made me mine
the bowels of hell.

Caught between a rock
and a hard life I breathed
death to keep my family alive.

I dodged fate for a while
with each pickaxe swing,
but on a December Monday
coal sent a demand it
needed more bones.

I used to climb the mountain
until the mountain fell.
lived in the light until
they made me mine
the bowels of hell.

©Susie Clevenger 2014


Revisiting Marian's prompt  for Real Toads Play It Again #5

Comments

Fireblossom said…
I love coal sending a demand that it needs more bones. Good stuff, Susie.
Kerry O'Connor said…
I definitely felt the influence of song in these lines, and I'm sure they could be set to music with perfect ease. I felt so strongly the sense of human endurance against great odds as I read the piece.
Anonymous said…
Sad subject, beautiful writing.
I thank Laurie Kolp for the heads up on your blog. :-)
Wolfsrosebud said…
those first four lines had so much power... glad you finished with them also
Sherry Blue Sky said…
"I breathed death to keep my family alive." This poem really captures the coal mining disaster when "the mountain fell", but also could be applied to the many ways we mine the depths to keep our families going........good one, Susie!
Grace said…
This is a poignant line and made me recall death of miners: Caught between a rock and a hard life I breathed death to keep my family alive.

Good one Susie ~
Margaret said…
Fantastic! A man, doing the only thing he knows, doing what he must… a strength not everyone has.