So Many I’s In Who I am


    Pages of Me by Susie McMahon


I leaf
through
the
winks,
frowns,
smiles,
thoughts,
dreams,
expressions
the book of me contains
and I feel their weight
stretching my spine.

So many I’s
make me
who I am,
each bookmarked
with twigs of
sprouted beginnings.

Uniquely complicated
I paste myself upon
every sunrise
wondering what new lines
life will ink into my story.


©Susie Clevenger 2014

Grace at Real Toads provided us the art and dolls of talented artist 
Susie McMahon as inspiration for our poetry.

Comments

Anonymous said…
We did have the same idea about the 'Book of Me', but still managed to go in such opposite directions with it. I think this was supremely brilliant (trying to stop myself from using the word absolutely in every other comment - does supremely work?) and so full of hope and belief in the future. Beautiful!
Sumana Roy said…
Ah...that's a book we all long for
and many editions :)nice thoughts
brudberg said…
That is a book we constantly fill with new content... It can be a strain on the back, but still so important not to leave the pages empty.. Yes that is how I want to see it...
Vandana Sharma said…
So many personas and characters we can have.........
Scarlet said…
I specially admire the second stanzas, so many I's that may take new beginnings ~ It's interesting to see where each new day will bring us ~ Thanks for participating Susie ~

wishing you wonderful week ~

Grace
Kerry O'Connor said…
Wow! Those first lines are the perfect ekphrasis for the sculpture!
Kathryn Dyche said…
Love, love, love this. :)
Laurie Kolp said…
Oh, I just love this, Susie!!
Sherry Blue Sky said…
The wall sculpture is spectacular, and I love your poem, wondering what new lines the day will add to your story.
Maude Lynn said…
Beautifully done!
Helen said…
.. so many I’s make me who I am. Has to be my favorite line ~~ profound poetry, Susie.
Hannah said…
I love all of this, Susie...interesting concept indeed and for me,

"I paste myself upon
every sunrise
wondering what new lines
life will ink into my story."

this portion I find especially striking...hopeful and beautiful.