Sunday, May 11, 2014

So Many I’s In Who I am


    Pages of Me by Susie McMahon


I leaf
through
the
winks,
frowns,
smiles,
thoughts,
dreams,
expressions
the book of me contains
and I feel their weight
stretching my spine.

So many I’s
make me
who I am,
each bookmarked
with twigs of
sprouted beginnings.

Uniquely complicated
I paste myself upon
every sunrise
wondering what new lines
life will ink into my story.


©Susie Clevenger 2014

Grace at Real Toads provided us the art and dolls of talented artist 
Susie McMahon as inspiration for our poetry.

12 comments:

ccchampagne said...

We did have the same idea about the 'Book of Me', but still managed to go in such opposite directions with it. I think this was supremely brilliant (trying to stop myself from using the word absolutely in every other comment - does supremely work?) and so full of hope and belief in the future. Beautiful!

Sumana Roy said...

Ah...that's a book we all long for
and many editions :)nice thoughts

Björn Rudberg said...

That is a book we constantly fill with new content... It can be a strain on the back, but still so important not to leave the pages empty.. Yes that is how I want to see it...

Vandana Sharma said...

So many personas and characters we can have.........

Heaven said...

I specially admire the second stanzas, so many I's that may take new beginnings ~ It's interesting to see where each new day will bring us ~ Thanks for participating Susie ~

wishing you wonderful week ~

Grace

Kerry O'Connor said...

Wow! Those first lines are the perfect ekphrasis for the sculpture!

Kathryn said...

Love, love, love this. :)

Laurie Kolp said...

Oh, I just love this, Susie!!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

The wall sculpture is spectacular, and I love your poem, wondering what new lines the day will add to your story.

Mama Zen said...

Beautifully done!

Helen said...

.. so many I’s make me who I am. Has to be my favorite line ~~ profound poetry, Susie.

Hannah said...

I love all of this, Susie...interesting concept indeed and for me,

"I paste myself upon
every sunrise
wondering what new lines
life will ink into my story."

this portion I find especially striking...hopeful and beautiful.