Life Beyond Glass





















Life moves beyond the glass
and the distance sneers at
my inability to unlock my cage.

The memory of dirt, grass, and tree
vibrate in my paws frustrating instinct’s urge
to prowl and claim my piece of earth.

From my pampered world I raise a howl
of rebellion at the bonds of domestication
diminishing me to a creature ruled by human law.

I reach to scratch the light beyond curtains
where wings tease with their wind dance,
but I am a predator declawed by barriers.

Turning from the vexation of impossible I succumb
to the gentle seduction of outstretched arms
where contentment calms the feral urge to escape.


 ©Susie Clevenger 2014






Comments

Sherry Blue Sky said…
If a cat could talk....I especially like when she reaches towards the fluttering of wings outside the window. Poor kitty. Glad she has comforting arms to soothe her.
Heidi said…
The first time I read this poem, I read it as a metaphor, and the second time I read it straight from the cat's point of view. I like it both ways! Plus, the "vexation" label made me laugh.
Kathryn Dyche said…
Like Heidi I like the dual meaning this piece has . . . I find myself pondering this with my own indoor cats.
Hannah said…
You've captured this inner dialogue so poignantly, Susie. I just heard that animals in captivity survive but they don't thrive.

I like the closing and the use of feral...excellent work!
Anonymous said…
First of all, I don't understand the practice of declawing - but that's because we don't do it here. Apart from that I enjoyed this, and - as so many of the others say - the dual meaning was very powerful to me.
Anonymous said…
admit to liking cats but not liking their effect on birds... this is a good pen, Susie ~
Gillena Cox said…
luv it, it says plainly cats are cats

much love..
Kerry O'Connor said…
I do wonder at all the pampering we lavish on our pets, and how far we have removed them from instinct and wilderness.
Helen said…
Susie, a great take on kitty cat thoughts // or what we imagine them to be!
Carrie Van Horn said…
You have beautifully described the world of an indoor cat, and what they miss....love your blog's new look Susie :-)