In The Nothing Of Everything

I rise from night owl sleep,
put feet to floor and walk
into yesterday’s repetition.

The eventful uneventful
greets on cat’s feet
complaining in a hungry meow.

Dodging tails and wails
I feed the starving, reach for coffee,
bite my tongue with no one to hear.

Somewhere in the nothing of everything
I stepped on the crack and broke wonder’s back
leaving me vulnerable to the bat bite of routine.

Wake me up. It’s not over.
I’m already wiser and I’m older.
I’ve wasted time not finding myself.
I know that I was lost.

Give me a song, a word, a dance….
Let me paint seen with unseen….
Walk through doors never opened.

The spur, the itch, the want
is becoming louder than
the insistence of typical.


 ©Susie Clevenger 2014

Verse 5 is a play on Avicii's lyrics from "Wake Me Up"

So wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm older
All this time I was finding myself
And I didn't know I was lost

Grace at Real Toads prompted us with "Routine". 










Comments

Anonymous said…
This... This left me on the verge of tears! Beautifully written and so deep! Also loved the Avicii reference... *smile*
Grace said…
I specially love the last stanza, give me a song, a word, dance ~ The awakening from yesterday's repetition is liberating ~ And I love that song from Wake Me Up ~

Thanks for participating with Sunday's Challenge Susie ~ Happy week ahead ~
Sumana Roy said…
it's so important to cross the boundary of routine...so 'The spur, the itch, the want'..must and should have a louder voice
which one should pay heed to for a
fresh lease of life and to escape bat bite.. :)so nice lines...
Hannah said…
Love your response...the routine developing into this:

"Give me a song, a word, a dance….
Let me paint seen with unseen….
Walk through doors never opened"

Lovely Susie!
Anonymous said…
I'm with you on that final verse, Susie ~
Susie Swanson said…
Beautiful Susie. I love the last one but you really did go deep with this. I love all of your writing. Hugs, xo