My Throat Song



I walk on a white sheet
marring its cold lace
with my footprints.

Many have traveled
this crystal path
on their search for caribou.

I raise my eyes to the gray sun
and sing a throat song thanking 
my Eskimo ancestors for traditions.

My hunt is guided by their teachings
and I know my spear will find its mark
to feed the hollow stomachs of my children.


©Susie Clevenger 2013

At Real Toads Isadora Gruye gave us the following instructions for our poetry:
For your challenge today, my muddy buddies, I am asking that you write a poem using the word Eskimo but do not reference snow (or any adjective there of). Remember the further you stretch yourself from the norm, the better the result will be.


Comments

Sherry Blue Sky said…
I LOVE this song. You have captured the spirit of the Inuit so perfectly, Susie, placed us in their moccasins. Terrific write!
Vandana Sharma said…
It is so touching...particularly to feed the stomach of children
Hannah said…
Very expressively written, Susie. You capture the hunter side of the story so well...very visual. It's so neat that the throat singing was done by the women while their men were away hunting as a game!! How fun to bond this way. :) Great job!
Kerry O'Connor said…
Gosh that opening image is just amazing, Susie!