She Made Her Bed

She made her bed
but doesn’t lie in it.
The days of love
left her widowed.

Satin sheets have
turned to burlap
scratching skin
raw with alone.

Today is curtains hung
to block tomorrow’s light
and waiting for final tears.

She borrowed time,
but spent it on anger.
Jealousy was a vice
she couldn’t return.

She made her bed
but doesn’t lie in it.
The days of love
left her with empty arms.


©Susie Clevenger 2013




Marian at Real Toads provided the music of Veda Hille as inspiration for our writings. Beautiful Mother

Comments

Kerry O'Connor said…
She borrowed time,
but spent it on anger..

Phew! This is hard-hitting, Susie.
Marian said…
wow, Susie. this is terrific.

scratching skin
raw with alone.

excellent, piercing lines.
aka_andrea said…
I love this Susie. When I am really struggling I can't sleep in my bed but have to opt for the couch. There is something about walking down that hall alone that I just can't bear. Great write.
Helen said…
As I read your poem, found myself connecting musical notes to the words. Ms. Hille would sing this one!!!
Margaret said…
Wow. Quite an examination! Kerry's quoted line & Marians... grabbed me too. May I never find myself in that "place". ! Well done.
LaTonya Baldwin said…
Like your take, Susie. Seems we're traveling the same emotions in our work lately.
humbird said…
The days of love
left her with empty arms.~
the condition, stage you captured, Susie, perfectly, and, positive thing- the character works through very well: time for tears, closed curtain, no sleeping yet though...well it takes time to move on...good job, nice poem
Anonymous said…
Wow Susie this just grabs my heart, it is so raw and painful. Gorgeous writing. The new prompt is up if you are interested
Anonymous said…
Other folks have noted the well-turned phrases here, and I heartily agree with the notion. What strikes me here is the air of resignation, keeping the anger under wraps, which I think is very wise and very effective; I don't think this would work well as an angry piece, so I think the choice of tone and wording is wise and judicious.