The Weathered Rails to Love

(Image Via Photobucket: vivianandrea22)

I placed my heart
on weathered rails
to let it follow
their ancient path to love.

With hungry eyes I traveled
infatuation’s twists and turns
through spirit and flesh
feasting on desire with each glance.


My heart knew you were
its final destination
when doubt made its exit.

Tunneled in our dreams
the world turned
while we escaped
its wearied revolutions
in each other’s arms.


When life tore away
seclusion’s umbrella
love continued to grow
among trials, disappointment
and the grief of loss.

Today we travel
those weathered rails
with just as much passion
as when hungry eyes
first feasted on budding fascination.


 ©Susie Clevenger 2013

Today at Real Toads Hannah offered the Tunnel of Love in Kleven Ukraine as inspiration for our writing. I chose to write about the love my husband, Charlie, and I have experienced over the past 45 years. Many have asked us the secret to our longevity. There are so many answers but I will simply say we have loved one another unconditionally.
Real Toads ~ Hungry Eyes

Comments

Kerry O'Connor said…
45 years is something to be proud of - but for the life of me, I can't figure out how young you were when first you met Charlie. It must have been in your teens!
I love both pics: they definitely show a love that was meant to last
Susie Clevenger said…
Thank you Kerry. We were 17 when we met and we got married when we were 19. In August we will celebrate our 43rd wedding anniversary.
Hannah said…
Oh, Susie!! This is such a heart warming piece!! I just love the inclusions of images and music within the text.

Thank you for writing, Susie!
Susie Clevenger said…
Thank you Hannah! I so often write of things that are harsh...I couldn't let this pass without speaking of the love my husband and I share.
Lolamouse said…
Congrats on 45 years! This is a wonderful poem of love's journey. I absolutely adore the second stanza!
Susie Clevenger said…
Thank you so much Lolamouse!
Ben Ditty said…
This was so touching. Brought tears.
kaykuala said…
My, that's wonderful Susie! Coming on to half a century. Congrats to both, still maintaining the innocence of your young hearts! I love this kind of passion! And your poem relayed so much reality! Great take Ma'am!

Hank
Margaret said…
Unconditionally is an amazing gift. Lovely poem and I you both look so wonderful and so very much the same... well, minus the side swept bangs, of course :)
Susie Clevenger said…
@Hank, thank you
@Margaret, thanks. We look somewhat the same. Just more miles on our faces. :)
Kay L. Davies said…
I love the photos, Susie...so wonderful to see the love shine in both...and the poem describes the journey.
How fortunate for both of you, to have met when you were both young.
This makes me think of my grandparents, my parents, my siblings...all of whom made lasting relationships by starting young.
I'm so happy for you.
K
Unknown said…
Congratulations on your 43rd anniversary! So nice to read such a sweet poem for your husband! You have great taste in glasses!
Helen said…
Your poem is ~~~ awesome! A first I wasn't certain where you were headed on those weathered rails, now I know.
Sherry Blue Sky said…
I love the beautiful poem and, even more, the photos of you two then and now. Really really heartwarming, Susie...........just to know such love exists!
Susie Clevenger said…
@Kay, thank you so much. Charlie and I were blessed to have met young. Our parents were married for over 60 years.
@Robyn, thanks. I have worn glasses most of my life so I have had ample experience in selecting them. lol
@Helen, thanks so much.
@Sherry, thank you. We have had some bumps in the road but we have been able to overcome any obstacles.
gabrielle said…
Congratulations on 45 years together!
The photos are precious. Thank you for sharing these intimate and inspiring pages of your story.





LLM Calling said…
Susie you're a genius and obviously a deep romantic, wonderful
Susie Clevenger said…
@Gabrielle, Thank you!
@Emma, why thank you!