"I am hearing poetry when awake, dreaming poetry when asleep, breathing poetry with each breath, I am living in a poem."

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Too Many Whys with Champagne


The cage door will open
to free white doves……

Bury me in pearls and white satin.
Marry my corpse to the plans
of a silly girl’s heart.

Even the sun rose in brilliant yellow
to decorate the sky for my wedding,
but gasped in clouds when the altar
was untouched by your footprint.

I am no more than a forgotten silhouette
sitting under an unforgiving moon trying
to bend my pain into forgiving.

I have consumed too many whys
with the champagne while trying to understand
the reason I still bare my maiden name.

It is for the best…..really?
Who decides that is so?
I think I shall hate white roses.
They were supposed to have their thorns removed.
Yet, I am stone bleeding from the
needle stick of their deceitful bouquet.


©Susie Clevenger 2013
At Real Toads ~ A Word With Laurie she prompted us to write a
 phantasmagoric poem.

Phantasmagoric

(Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia) 1. Pertaining or relating to a phantasmagoria; of the nature of phantasmagoria; illusive; unreal.

7 comments :

Ellecee said...

Oh, I like this,,,how sad she is,, I particularly like the words "I have consumed too many whys
with the champagne " Been there, done that,,,for other reasons but the pain is the same.... so well done,,,

Laurie Kolp said...

Really beautifully written, Susie... I especially like:

I have consumed too many whys with the champagne while trying to understand the reason I still bare my maiden name.

Ella said...

The whole poem is unique and beautiful-wow!
I love these lines:
"Bury me in pearls and white satin.
Marry my corpse to the plans
of a silly girl’s heart."
I <3 what you have created :D Magical!

Ron. said...

I'm in absolute in agreement with the above praises for this work, and am especially enamored of these lines:
I am no more than a forgotten silhouette
sitting under an unforgiving moon trying
to bend my pain into forgiving


Your work here rocks, SC!

daydreamerdreams said...

Heart-rending...beautiful! I love the picture combined with your words. Truly a wonderful read.

Lisa Williams said...

A truly fantastic poem, love "sitting under an unforgiving moon trying to bend my pain into forgiving."

Sharp Little Pencil said...

"I think I shall hate white roses." That line is riveting... sets the time a bit in the past for me. Also, consuming "whys" with champagne, really beautiful writing, Susie. Peace, Amy
http://sharplittlepencil.com/2013/02/04/cinquains-for-real-toads/

© Confessions Of A Laundry Goddess , AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena