Erased

You burnt me with your eraser.
My heart held your name
whispered in its beating,
but you stared at love
and said you didn’t want it.

You turned cold when
the pictures flashed on the screen.
You burnt me with your eraser.

Alone, you left me alone
in a sterile room prepared for endings.
Paper rattled among metal
under the light of a surgical moon.

Strapped to another’s decision
no broke the barrier of my silent tongue.
I grabbed a lie and ran telling you it was done.

You burnt me with your eraser.
Love turned ugly when you
pulled off your mask.
Tears flooded me,
now that river is dry.

The little girl tucked inside of me
will not be born into desperation.
I’ve gathered all the reasons
I loved you and erased them.

  
©Susie Clevenger 2012
 No, it isn't about me. A compilation of the voices of other women who have gone through this pain.

Shared with Real Toads ~ Open Link Monday

Comments

Brian Miller said…
Strapped to another’s decision
no broke the barrier of my silent tongue.
I grabbed a lie and ran telling you it was done.

and

love turned ugly when you took off your mask...

both very evocative sections...the burning with the eraser as well susie...oy, glad its not you, but i have heard similar voices....
Ellecee said…
Someone close to me has had this painful experience; your words speak for her and others too I'm sure. Very powerful,,,
Sherry Blue Sky said…
This tells the story of so many heartbroken girls, Susie. I love the ending, where she gathered up all the reasons she loved him and erased him. And that she was protective of the little girl she was carrying.
Susan said…
"My heart held your name whispered in its beating. . . " Your images are beautiful and true. Something this organic is not easily erased.
it may not be easy to erase feelings immediately, but her attitude of not allowing herself to become a victim is wonderful!

LLM Calling said…
that's so powerful, all the more so to hear it read
anthonynorth said…
Painful words beautifully composed.
Such poignant drama, so well narrated too.
Mixi said…
Your protagonist shows strength and hope and new life. That makes me happy :)
J Cosmo Newbery said…
Fascinating and evocative imagery.
loved the resolute ending.thats the way to move on.
Kerry O'Connor said…
I’ve gathered all the reasons
I loved you and erased them.

Such a powerful ending to this strong piece. The repetition is an ominous force, which creates the climax of these lines.
Timoteo said…
Loved the ending of this. (I couldn't get your voice to play...is it just me?)
Unknown said…
Vivid use of imagery, Susie. I am in that room, see the mask ripped away, wonder at the unborn child and marvel at her mother. So very effective!
Marian said…
hi Susie, i read this last week and thought i had responded, sorry about that. this poem feels like it cuts very deep, to me as reader and i'm guessing to you as writer. there is enough specificity to make me feel very anxious. while it seems redemptive in the end, this story leaves me very worried. well done.
Karen said…
This is so very strong! What imagery. You write with (forgive me) surgical precision!
Anonymous said…
A stunning piece of writing, that I've re-read several times now. It's like chocolate; you can't get enough of it.
Jim said…
Very nice write, Susie. I like the surprise ending, it was sweet and sour.
..
Sorry so late in returning, I'm tones behind.
..