Two Syllables of Affliction


Last words escaped my lips
without thought of endings.

They hung upon bitter clothes pins,
blowing against us, dividing us.

Pain had me speaking without edit.
I wished to wound you thinking it would heal me.

I thought my goodbye was merely temporary
and I ran from you, the sulfur of my tongue.

Goodbye, two syllables of affliction,
has haunted me with its finality.

 I didn’t know that day
would be a grave where I buried love.

It had died before those words
escaped my lips.

My spirit knew, but my heart
was never one to listen beyond a dream.

Last words, brittle grief
crushed into my memory.


©Susie Clevenger 2012
 Written from the digital art prompt titled "Last Words"
provided by Vanessa Matthews at Ordinary Life...Less Ordinary



Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh Susie, this is just beautiful and heartfelt, what a moving but pleasurably evocative read. I'm so glad you came over to my blog and found a connection with the prompt. Exquisite and great to see that pen flowing again!
Maude Lynn said…
I love the emotion in this! Beautiful write.
Susan said…
"They hung upon bitter clothes pins, blowing against us, dividing us.
Pain had me speaking without edit."

This is how I also have done "Last Words"--never have I seen this spelled out more eloquently. You did not create the ending, but embroidered it or branded it indeed.