That It Could Be Me


That it could be me
that gathers lilies
to my breast.

to smell the scent
of innocence and not
my bitter temperament.

How can one’s spirit
be pure again when
it has wallowed in corruption?

I beseech you Mother Nature
to show me how you rise
from humanity’s befoulment.

Daily we beset your purity
with our pollution
and have no remorse.

Yet you feed us
with the milk of your breasts
and sustenance of your loins.

Only a broken heart
torments me
and I rail of injustice.
  
I plant seeds of discontent
by my unforgiving spirit
and harping tongue.

Mother Nature, you are victimized
and you send your seed child
to bloom in the desert.

Show me the way of your footpath
that I may walk away from my bile
and see kindness restored.



©Susie Clevenger 2012
   Written for Magpie Tales Mag 120




Comments

Anonymous said…
walk away from bile -> makes me think of how much bile is forming looking at the grotesque face of that ugly ugly fruit face man



fruit essence facial mask
Tess Kincaid said…
Lovely prayer to Mother Earth...
Sherry Blue Sky said…
This is beautiful, Susie........especially "you are victimized and you send your seed child to bloom in the desert". So lovely. And I adore your last lines....just lovely.
Grace said…
What a lovely message ~ I hope we are listening ~
Trellissimo said…
I rail of injustice

Amen to that...
Other Mary said…
'How can one’s spiritbe pure again whenit has wallowed in corruption?' That's the question. What a profound write.
Brian Miller said…
i like the humility in this...asking for that help...realizing our position and transgressions...and even still she provides...smiles.
Susan Anderson said…
Loved this one.

Almost felt like a native American prayer, but with an edge.

=)
Helen said…
Harping tongues ... so destructive, ugly, divisive. Nice Magpie!!!
Judy Roney said…
Beautiful. The ending is perfect. I wish that for all of us.
Dave King said…
The serious side - I like.
Silent Otto said…
Terrific manifestationof the dark side, should be more of it, thanks Suzie, safe travelling.