Dear Charlie


Houston, Texas
April 21, 2012                                                                                                                               

Dear Charlie,
  
Was it the notes that joined us
or did fate drop us into a melody?
We met on a dance floor in our youth,
a friend put my hand in yours.

You fell in love much quicker than I.
My heart was entangled in an infatuation
I could not, would not release.
I must have wounded you so with my pining.

How did one so young excuse my hurt?
I badgered with another’s name
while your heart loved me
with forgiveness I didn’t deserve.

I wish I could say the exact moment
when I fell in love with you,
to know when I turned from fool to wise.
But does it really matter?

We had no way of knowing on that distant Saturday
that we would hear the first notes of our love song.
One dance turned into a lifetime.
Our arms have held tight in joy and pain.


With all my love,
Susie


Written for Real Toads Envelope Stanza

Comments

Kerry O'Connor said…
Oh, this is such beautiful, honest writing. An open letter is such a personal form, and you have written in a way to touch the heart of the reader.
Grace said…
I love it...so romantic and celebrating romance ~

My hubby downloaded The Chocolat movie, and I am watching it later ~
Marian said…
awww! glad the dance turned into a lifetime :)
this is a lovely poem.
Ellecee said…
Your poetry never fails to touch me. Here is another.
hedgewitch said…
Why is it we seldom write these kinds of letters--the ones that say our heart? So many things people we love need to hear. Eloquent, warm and perfect in its simple honesty, Susie.
Sherry Blue Sky said…
Oh this is so beautiful, Susie.......so nice to know that this kind of happens, and lasts. A beautiful from-the-heart piece.
Maude Lynn said…
This is so beautiful. I love the intimate feel of this.
Mary Ann Potter said…
Goosebumpy. Honest. I am impressed!
Kay L. Davies said…
This is wonderful, Susie, just wonderful.
K
Ella said…
Intimate and so beautiful!
This is a letter to be cherished~
And the dance continues, so romantic...
Love it!
Margaret said…
...I'm breathless. Stunning and beatuiful... and I hope it is true!