Wine or Reality



I don’t know if you are real
or if the wine brought
you to me.

Tiny scratches across my skin
tickle me with memories
of a five o’clock shadow,
and whispers.

Can a phantom leave
my skin warm,
 my heart thumping,
kiss swollen lips?

 If this is fantasy,
 why do my fingers
long to touch broad shoulders,
cling to muscular arms,
 run my fingers
through dark hair?

Somewhere in the fog
I remember brown eyes
drawing me into their depth,
stripping me of inhibitions.

I bloomed under large hands
resuscitating emotions
I  thought would never
arise from the tomb
I had buried them in.

 If only the wine created you,
may I drown in dreams,
drink from unreality,
and feel my flesh reborn
from its sensual baptism.

©Susie Clevenger

Fireblossm at Real Toads challenged us
to write about bodies. This is my body offering.



Comments

Brendan said…
It's so close, the sensual dream lost in the glow of wine, and the "baptism" of new love, which may or may not awaken from the former. Your poem so eloquently and elegantly draws out the embodied night from a whiff of wine left in a glass. Fine work. - Brendan
Fireblossom said…
Woohoo! This is a marvelously sensual poem, Susie, and I love the theme of reawakening that runs through it!
Mary said…
I will raise my own glass to this poem and drink to either reality or unreality. I love this sensual write.
Scarlet said…
Very nice sensuality ...just brimming, waiting to be reborn ~
Kerry O'Connor said…
Wow! This is a beautifully composed poem - the sensual elements never overwhelm the reader, but create a sense of real romance, however, illusory it may be.
Herotomost said…
Ummmmmm....what kind of wine is this....I could use some!!!!! Haaaa....whew, sexy and real. You brought it...you brought it. Wonderful to say the least.
Ellecee said…
Beautiful poem, Susie. So sensitve and sensual. Love it :-)
Jannie Funster said…
I really like you blooming and back from the tomb, Susie!

And wine seems like a great reality to me -- sipping some now. :)
Margaret said…
This was a VERY enjoyable read!! I loved the real earthiness of the whole thing and oh yes, I do love a five-o-clock shadow. :) It is more than sensual... it is an awakening of who she is or can be... oh yes, just loved this. :)
Thinking said…
hmm...a good read...

Hey...do you have a poem on deceased mother?

Do share it with me...please...since you have good taste in poetry...thanks.