Let The Rain Wash Away Questions

Today at Real Toads Marian's writing challenge was Love & Affection. For inspiration she had a video by Joan Armatrading aptly named Love & Affection. The song inspired what I wrote, but after I completed it another song started playing in my head.



The rain washes
away questions
for a few moments.

It doesn’t matter
if it is right or wrong
to be wrapped in your arms.

We don’t have
to answer to anyone
while our music plays.

There are strumming
guitar strings playing
along my body.

I am the instrument
and your fingers
know the chords.

Our lips meet
to sing our lust
with a kiss.

I am not sure
if we are writing
a love song

Or if we are
writing the music
of our goodbye.

I am lost in feeling
and I don’t
even care to ask.



©Susie Clevenger

This is the song that played in my head when I finished the poem.

Comments

Brendan said…
I think poets have an ESP when it comes to songs on the radio, hearing the insides of the tune; what you sing back here is so essential to the yearning Armatrading expressed. Nothing really else matters inside that embrace, as if even sense itself didn't have a place there. This reminds me so much of poem I once wrote about Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me," remembering a lover I dumped long ago so casually. If you care to: http://tinyurl.com/6vtllcq
Scarlet said…
I love the song by Adele ~ Thanks for posting ~

This is melancholy write..just being in the moment, and not even asking why or what ~

Lovely ~
Marian said…
whoosh, sometimes it's like that, isn't it?
i didn't know that adele song, thanks for turning me on to it. :)
hedgewitch said…
We don’t have
to answer to anyone
while our music plays.

Loved that phrase, Susie--perfectly captures the bittersweet undertones of your message here. Also loved the Adele cover of the old Dylan tune--Billy Joel did a nice version of it also.
Sherry Blue Sky said…
Wow, Susie, "I'm not sure if we are writing a love song or if we are writing the music of our goodbye." Such a powerful line. Beautifully done.
Adura Ojo said…
Love both songs and I love your poem, Susie.

My favourite lines:

I am not sure
if we are writing
a love song

Or if we are
writing the music
of our goodbye.

I also often have songs playing in my head when I'm writing. Hope you have a lovely weekend.
Brian Miller said…
oo la la...this has some heat to it susie...strumming the chords...just wanting to feel in the moment and not caring about tomorrow...def an evocative piece susie...
Herotomost said…
I'm a huge fan of the love song and romantic poetry when it gets right down to intricacies of the emotion felt in any stage of a relationship. Makes it very human...like you did here. You killed this one...hell yeah.
Kay L. Davies said…
What Sherry and Adura both said — ditto from me. Love those lines. Beautifully done, Susie.
K
Lolamouse said…
Perfect! You captured the spirit of the song(s). Love it!
Ella said…
Well done...I too love Adele
your mood takes us on journey...
questioning our stance in life
I loved it
Ellecee said…
Enjoyed all of this so much. The music and your special words.