Eyes Ignore Me


Your eyes,
they ignore me.
Oiled strokes
look beyond
the wishes
colored blue
in mine.

Why couldn’t
it have been I
that dipped
a brush into
paint to bring
you to life?

I would not
have hung you
in a gallery
to be looked upon
by those who
count your worth
in stacks of green paper.

There is not enough
plastic in my wallet
or change in my pocket
to rescue you from
dollared stares.

I count each glance
I take at your beauty,
memorize your eyes,
your hair, your skin.
It is the only wealth
that will remain with me
on the day I return to find
you are no longer here.


©Susie Clevenger 2012
Image: Sarolta Ban
Magpie Tales




Comments

kaykuala said…
A beautiful verse,Susie. Yes, a thing of beauty, an art piece commercialized, offered to the highest bidder. That is progress!

Hank
Wander said…
This is actually very sad, a love unfulfilld, in an abstrtact way. Good poem!

Wander
Anonymous said…
I liked your take on this prompt. It was a bit sad to read though . . . I took a more light-hearted approach to this prompt.

Thank you for stopping by my blog the other day and leaving a comment. It's nice to "meet" another "poetry fanatic." :)

-Mara
http://the-poetic-madame.blogspot.com
Brian Miller said…
it is the only wealth...nice really like that...and we buy and sell our beauty on a fast paced market...what was yesterday is no longer today...
Gloria Baker said…
Love this Susie absolutely nice(lol)
Ella said…
Wow, this was amazing, so fluid and beautiful!
Maude Lynn said…
This is gorgeous. So many great lines!
Neha said…
So beautiful Susie, one of the best romantic poems I've come across :)
Carrie Van Horn said…
A beautiful love captured in your words Susie!
Jinksy said…
Priceless art, eh?
Susan Anderson said…
I would like to see the art appreciator take a piece home sometimes and not just the highest bidder.

=)
RD said…
I saw this as a billboard of sorts...to be changed

"those who count your worth"...sadly

Peace ☮
Mystic_Mom said…
I love this...so well said.
Ellecee said…
I really enjoyed this poem. I can understand the heart ache that comes across the page. I love the rhythm.
Lolamouse said…
I like your take on the prompt. Beauty to the highest bidder. Art imitates life or is it the other way around?
Trellissimo said…
Money is not a good bedfellow for a work of art...
Tess Kincaid said…
I really like "dollared stares"...nice...
Ed Pilolla said…
what a deep love you articulate here...