Azaleas

Kenia's Wednesday Challenge at Real Toads
was to write about the connection of men and nature
and how I connect with the pulsing life around me.
I chose a photograph I took 
at Tulsa, Oklahoma's Woodward Park
for my inspiration.


The azaleas wink
with ruffled eyes
flirting with my muse
to write of their grandeur.

Words form to be erased,
insignificant phrases
too dull to express
the blossoms perfection.

How can I describe their majesty
when even the water
ceases its bubbling to act
as their hand mirror?

Their reflection
of red petal blush
and wedding white
shines on its surface.

My winter spirit
rises from its frost
to be renewed
by azalea blossoms.

I cannot write with justice
the glory of your blooming.
I lay down my pen
and bow to your beauty.


©Susie Clevenger 2012

Comments

Kerry O'Connor said…
And yet your pen has captured something of the wonder of that sight. I love the way you captured their reflection in water.
Laurie Kolp said…
It is hard to describe that beauty, but you did it well here... I especially like:

My winter spirit
rises from its frost
to be renewed
by azalea blossoms.
Daydreamertoo said…
Isn't it wonderful how Mother Nature does what she does and all seemingly with no effort at all. She brings perfection to our eyes but, you have also managed to capture it here in your words despite any misgivings. It's a truly lovely write.
There is nothing like getting close to nature to heal many of our heart's wounds, is there?
Anonymous said…
So beautiful, Susie - we're still waiting for the azaleas here... one of my favourite flowering shrubs.

"How can I describe their majesty
when even the water
ceases its bubbling to act
as their hand mirror?"

That is gorgeous!
Brian Miller said…
love the humility there in the end...to lay down the pen and just bow...nature inspires me with such awe...
Scarlet said…
We get inspiration from nature but I agree with you that its hard to capture their beauty and majesty ~
Mary said…
So often it seems words cannot do justice to the beauty of nature, especially the beauty of spring each year; but I do think YOUR words have done justice to the spirit of the beauty with which the reader will be able to identify!
Geraldine said…
A beautiful poem. I think you captured the wonder of these flowers and spring, very well.
Ed Pilolla said…
the last sentence worked like a little vignette, surrendering to greatness and beauty.